Chevron hydraulic oils compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brief discussion on lubricant compatibility, the test method, and the limitations of the test.

Can find the ASTM standard referred to here just blow it up full size, and it's readable.

Note the turbine oil standard goes much, much farther than D6922, and some of the things that are tested for...e.g. some mixes potentially have a greater viscosity than the thickest component, or a thinner viscosity than the thinnest.

Compare the requirement with D6922 which mix, cool, heat, cool, thaw, and have a look see at what happens, and one can see from Chevron's commentary that there CAN be things that aren't pretty when making blends

Good article. We were looking at using a group II oil in place of a group I R&O add pack based lube in some large, diesel fired gas turbine generators, and decided against it for compatibility reasons, similar to what is shown there.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Good article. We were looking at using a group II oil in place of a group I R&O add pack based lube in some large, diesel fired gas turbine generators, and decided against it for compatibility reasons, similar to what is shown there.

Understood...went from here, compatibility to varnish in a decade when the suppliers moved to GrII in supposedly identical, same manufacturer part number oils as all lube basestocks in Oz became imported, and they dropped GrI.

This line jumped off the page:

"Contamination and aging of oils can make them compatible".

Aging eh?

I wonder if that aging can be applied to a resent "discussion" that had a $100.00 bet attached?

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Understood...went from here, compatibility to varnish in a decade when the suppliers moved to GrII in supposedly identical, same manufacturer part number oils as all lube basestocks in Oz became imported, and they dropped GrI.

Imagine how a statement like that would fly in the PCMO section?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Imagine how a statement like that would fly in the PCMO section?
smile.gif

The article has nothing to do with PCMO though.

That's why I keep drawing your attention to the D6922 thread here on what the miscibility standard dows and does not promise.

You've got some views, you could express them there.

This thread was for a completely different, and far more complicated compatibility test than D6922 (which as you know is "mix, look at, cool, heat, cool again, and see if it stays mixed", no performance warranted or implied).

Do these additive interactions not happen in PCMO (which are typically far more complex than an hydraulic or turbine oil) ?

Or do you simply not see them in the "miscibility standard" to which they are tested, which merely checks to see if thy split like salad dressing ?

Here is a cut and paste from the Amsoil official web site for 0w-30 SS oil As complex as can be!
COMPATIBILITY
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is compatible with other conventional and synthetic motor oils. Mixing AMSOIL motor oils with other oils, however, will shorten the oil’s life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. AMSOIL does not support extended drain intervals where oils have been mixed. Aftermarket oil additives are not recommended for use with AMSOIL synthetic motor oils.... Every pcmo oil I have ever read the product description of had similar compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back