Chevron Delo 400XLE 10w-30. No moly? Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering using Chevron Delo 400 XLE 10w-30 for a few older (80s and 70s) vehicles. The main reason is it seems to have higher ZDDP than other oil (unless I am mistaken here). Another reason is it's cheap (15 bucks for a gallon at WalMart).

I see on some UOAs that it seems to have no moly? How big an issue is this?

Zinc seems to be .12 (which I think is 1200ppm?)

Second page, bottom right.

http://www.deloperformance.com/docs/Delo_400_XLE_Synblend_XLE_10W30.pdf

I notice most oils don't use (detectable via VOA/UOA) moly,but have superior wear numbers. I'm guessing they're using something in place of moly that's a better anti wear additive that doesn't show up on those tests?

Either Chevron found a better additive, or they needed to lower the ash content of the oil.

I would not worry about it.

I'm using it right now in my Regal, its running nice and smooth. Its maybe a little more quieter then the synthetic Maxlife I had in it before. Both 10w30, diesels typically have a higher concentrate of anti wear additives so I'm sure its nothing to be concerned with.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I notice most oils don't use (detectable via VOA/UOA) moly,but have superior wear numbers. I'm guessing they're using something in place of moly that's a better anti wear additive that doesn't show up on those tests?

Yup...whatever they use in place of moly seems to work great. I used the delo xle in my volvo truck and got great results with it. The xle (10w30) and supertech 15w40 gave me lower aluminum than any other hdeo's.

Don't be concerned about the lack of moly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back