Chevron Delo 400 for inboard marine engines???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the old saltwater pros suggest Chevron Delo 400 in straight 40W for inboard marine use, since a boat engine stays pretty much loaded when running, boats don't coast downhill very often....

Any other opinions from the old salts out there pro or con???

Thanks,

Dave

Marine in-board engines are generally Chevy engines, with 160º thermostats and a rich running carb. (Newest ones are FI).
Straight 40 weight might be a bit heavy, certainly something like Rotella T 5W-40 would work.
Fuel dilution (carb engines) and corrosion(damp/wet environment) are the two problems marine engines face.
My 2¢

Last season I ran Chevron Delo 5W40 Synthetic and I thought it did great. Mine is a 4.3L chevy block and I would agree that for my application a 40W would be heavy. Volvo specs their 30W synthetic. I had a oil analysis kit for my 25 hour oil change but can you believe I actually forgot to get a sample when I drained it?? Won't make that mistake this upcoming season....

Dwendt: Marine engines use a 140 degree thermostat unless
they have a closed cooling system. The reason for this is
that in saltwater the salt would precipitate out at the
higher temperature leaving deposits in the cooling system.

BTW: I like your quotes but you forgot one

Too Much Beer

I would have liked to have added:
too bright headlights.
But that would have been to long.

The outboards I'm familiar with use a 140° thermostat.
The MercCruiser engines I've seen had 160° thermostats in them.
Other brands may be different.

My 2000 7.4L horizon merc engines have closed cooling and 165*F thermostats. The owners manual states 25w40 or 40w marine grade oil. BTW, my engine rarely gets started below 40*F anyway so 40w is not too heavy. A 30w oil won't last very long in a pair of 380hp EFI engines with forged pistons pushing a 16,000lb boat through the water at continuous 3500rpm.

Most new FWC engines run 160 deg thermostats now. My '94 Merc I/O has a 140 deg thermostat. I think the fuel dilution/cleaner burning is winning out over corrosion concerns (I read somewhere that salt distills out of water around 145 def F).

Volvo Pentas w/o oil coolers should use 15w-50 according to Volvo Engineer. Synthetic or marine oil not really important according to this guy. Just change 50-100hrs/1yr.

Pablo how much better and why ? What proof do you have besides Amsoil literature? That being posted, Amsoil diesel and marine is my favorite Amsoil product . I like the no vis improvers.

DELO 400 simply doesn't have great cool (let alone cold) flow properties. This may not be so noticeable in a large diesel with large clearances, but I don't think it's ideal for modern spark engines. UOA numbers are never spectacular with DELO in gasoline engines. Also, it has not so great NOACK volatility.

We had a 1957 Gray Marine 135HP Inboard for about 20 years.

We used "Non-Detergent" Oil in it and it worked wonderfully. I think we got it at Cenex.

Should they now use "Non-Detergent" Oil?
confused.gif

PS: Looked over the specs on what Pablo mentioned and I agree with him, the Amsoil would be the better choice.

Still curious on the "Non-Detergent" application though...

A mechanic once told me years ago that there's no such thing as 'non-detergent' oil. All oil has some detergent qualities, so basically, non-detergent oil is in reality just a low detergent oil.

I'd pull a valve cover first chance I got if working on an engine that's had 'non-detergent' oil in it.

I'm particularly fond of Pennz. LL 15W-40 in my 3.0 inboard. Has held up well and always keeps oil pressure up. That little 3.0 get's the #@$%! beat out of it pulling skiers and tubes.

Quote:

PS: Looked over the specs on what Pablo mentioned and I agree with him, the Amsoil would be the better choice.

Still curious on the "Non-Detergent" application though...

Are you going to use your boat when it is 12 degrees? So what is the advantage really. Though the diesel marine 15W/40 is Amsoils best all around oil and the price is really a good deal for the oil . Amsoil advertises million mile on over the road truck engine life but so does Mobil Delvac 1300 15w/40 ,Chevron Dello 400 15w/40 , Shell Rotella mentions million mile also. No need for the extra $$$,,, not needed

"Are you going to use your boat when it is 12 degrees?"

Well, gee, darn-near, I was just out a couple weeks ago and it was 27 Degrees when I launched and went out.........
spankme.gif

I'll take every advantage I can get when I make a huge investment in a good sized rig, run when it's in the 20's up to 95 Degrees, run my motor up to 6400 RPM's out in a 14 mile diameter lake where not many people are.

I run Amsoil 10w-40 4-Stroke Marine Oil and Amsoil Lower Unit Oil.

I run 'er hard, put a lot of hours on it and I happily pay the extra couple bucks for the best protection. I am going to keep this rig a long time and Amsoil is the best, period.
whistle.gif

cheers.gif

I have used 15w/40 in my 1974 Hondo running a 7,000 rpm big block Chev in 29 degree weather several times At Lake Shasta bigger than San Francisco Bay The lower temp limit in my wifes 2002 superduty manual is 15 degrees for 15w/40 hdeo. I am not knocking Amsoil as I have used it . Amsoil is the best ,period .I am glad you think so ,I have been a service technician for 23 years done hotrodding cars and boats all along ,I have seen inside of many many engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back