Chev. Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
bought a 2004 colorado [not my dailydriver]..thank god ... 3.5 crew cab 5 cylinder motor ..have changed most of the elect. sensors ,cleaned the MAF ,seafomed the THROTTLE BODY ,new plugs and air filter ..and still get the famous REDUCED POWER ..of an on ..battery is full charged ,i sometimes don"t use it for 2 weeks and noticed that my battery is not fully charged [but it starts well everytime] i have had numerous trucks and cars but must say i have never had this much trouble ..the DRIVE by WIRE has to be the most useless part on the COLORADO ..

should have kept my TJ JEEP

Last edited:
I had a 2005 and it was a total POS! Pure junk! My 1997 GMC Sierra is far better built. We just got a new 2013 Silverado 2500 at work and it too is built like a piece of junk. I'l be keeping my 1997 and will most likely never buy GM again.

I had a 2004 and it was fine reliability wise, I will say I liked the S-10/Sonoma more.

Buddy of mine at work suffered through one for 2 years before trading it in on a Tundra. He had major electrical problems, mostly with the ABS system... lucky for him the ABS light was off the day he went to look at Toyotas!

Borrow or buy a code reader that has data logging capabilities, and hook it up to the truck, until you get the low power issue to occur.

When it does, download the information, and look at all the various readings, to see if one goes crazy, right when the power loss occurs.

If that sensor is one that you replaced, check the wiring leading up to it, or the part that it is sensing.

BC.

Wasn't it ranked as the least reliable vehicle made at the time? Or, perhaps least reliable truck. I can't recall for sure.

Although, it's hard to believe anything is worse than my 2001
Dakota was. My Chrysler boycott continues because of that vehicle and their awful customer service.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I woulda keep the TJ!

i gave it to my daughter ...sometimes she lets me ride it ..rough and bouncy but i never had a mech. or elect. problem //

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Borrow or buy a code reader that has data logging capabilities, and hook it up to the truck, until you get the low power issue to occur.

When it does, download the information, and look at all the various readings, to see if one goes crazy, right when the power loss occurs.

If that sensor is one that you replaced, check the wiring leading up to it, or the part that it is sensing.

BC.

i have and use my code reader OBD2 ...i get the po300 [miss fire] code and sometimes the battery .i worked 30yrs. for GM

Originally Posted By: browning300wsm
i worked 30yrs. for GM

You didn't check for TSB's?

Engine - MIL ON/DTC P0300/Engine Misfire
Notes

Bulletin No.: 04-06-04-081C

Date: August 18, 2005

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Check Engine Light Illuminated, Engine Misfire, DTC P0300 Set (Replace Exhaust Valve Springs and Seals)

Models:
2004-2005 Chevrolet Colorado
2004-2005 GMC Canyon

with 2.8L Inline 4 Cylinder or 3.5L Inline 5 Cylinder Engine (VINs 8, 6 - RPOs LK5, L52)

*For Engines Built Before and Including VIN Breakpoint 58261313 and Build Date 04/13/2005

*This VIN should ONLY be used in conjunction with the Dealers checking the Engine Unit Number (EUN) (label date reads T050880001 or lower) if they think they have a truck exhibiting the issue.

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update the VIN breakpoint and Engine Unit Number. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-081B (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Important: The bulletin may apply to vehicles with a VIN breakpoint of 58261313 or lower. If the last 8 of the VIN is lower than 58261313, the engine unit number (shown in SI # XXXXX) will have to be inspected to determine if the bulletin applies. If the engine unit number is XXXXX thanNNN-NN-NNNNthe bulletin applies to the vehicle. If the engine unit number isNNN-NN-NNNNor greater, the engine already contains the updated valve seals and springs that are mentioned in this bulletin, so the bulletin does not apply.

Condition

Some customers may comment on a Check Engine Light On or that the Check Engine Light is flashing. An actual engine misfire may or may not be felt. Typically this occurs during engine warm up or on deceleration after the engine is at operating temperature. Additionally, some customers may comment on a light engine knocking noise or misfire during warm up or on a deceleration after the engine is at operating temperature. Upon investigation, the technician will find a misfire code P0300 through P0305 and possibly a P0420.

Important: If a DTC P0420 is stored along with DTC(s) P0300 through P0305, the catalytic converter diagnostics in Service Information (SI) must be followed to determine if the catalytic converters are operating properly.

Correction

Perform the diagnosis for the P0300 DTC as found in the appropriate section of Service Information (SI). If no concerns are isolated through the diagnosis, then replace all of the exhaust valve springs and seals. It will be necessary to remove the intake and exhaust camshafts. Refer to and copy all of the appropriate section(s) of Service Information (SI) repair procedures referenced below before attempting this repair. Refer to the parts information below to determine what bolts, valve springs, seals and gaskets will be necessary during reassembly.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: browning300wsm
i worked 30yrs. for GM

You didn't check for TSB's?

Engine - MIL ON/DTC P0300/Engine Misfire
Notes

Bulletin No.: 04-06-04-081C

Date: August 18, 2005

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Check Engine Light Illuminated, Engine Misfire, DTC P0300 Set (Replace Exhaust Valve Springs and Seals)

Models:
2004-2005 Chevrolet Colorado
2004-2005 GMC Canyon

I refuse to say anything about someone who says that they worked for any auto company for that long of a period of time, but has to go to the internet to have someone else find a TSB that is directly related to the symptoms that their vehicle made by the very company they worked for.

Hopefully the TSB will apply to your truck, and get you pointed in the proper direction.

If that doesn't apply, at least inspect the ignition system on the engine, and get compression test results both hot and cold for all the cylinders.

BC.

A failing battery will make your ECU go effin' haywire until it's replaced doing all kinds of fun [censored] like throwing random P0300 codes and the ever illustrious "reduced power mode". Been there, done that, won't do it again if I can possibly spot it and deal with it in time. Suck up the cost and get a new battery pronto if it's got at least 3-5 years on it, you'll have less headaches in the end I assure you.

[You didn't check for TSB's?]...... yes i did but not all of the 2004 had valve seat problems . and i only bought it last year with 139000 kilometers and mine does not have the head problem ..

Worst truck sold in this country in thirty years. You're better off dumping it for whatever you can get and getting...well, pretty much anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back