Chemical Engineers: What are these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of pure curiosity, what are the following base oils? I'm guessing various types of PAO, esters, and GTL?

1-Decene, homopolymer, hydrogenated

Dec-1-ene, homopolymer, hydrogenated Dec-1-ene, oligomers, hydrogenated

Pentadecane, 7-methylene-, mixed with 1-tetradecene, dimers and trimers, hydrogenated

Distillates (Fischer - Tropsch), heavy, C18-50 – branched, cyclic and linear

Alkaryl amine

Alkylated phenol ester

Polyolefin Polyamine Succinimide

C14-16-18 Alkyl Phenol

But, some of these are SO GENERIC! Like this one:
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

Distillates (Fischer - Tropsch), heavy, C18-50 – branched, cyclic and linear

That's like saying "Gasoline, unleaded, 87 octane, 10% ethanol blended"

Are you trying to compare base oil stocks and various additive packages?

Some of it is PAO, some of it is anti-oxidants and other additives. It looks like what would be disclosed from multi-functional engine oil additive package on an SDS.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
you trying to compare base oil stocks and various additive packages?

Not trying to compare anything. Just curious. I know which ones are PAO and GTL, I think, but the "Pentadecane" one seems unique. I couldn't find anything on GOOGLE for that one.

Last edited:
You do know that chemical engineers (like me) are rubbish at chemistry?

Okay, from the top...

1-Decene is a hydrocarbon alpha-olefin containing 10 carbon atoms. It's the fundamental monomer building block used for making PAO base oil. I'm no expert but it sounds like 'raw' PAO is treated with hydrogen (hydrogenated) to saturate any residual double bonds that exist after the polymerisation reaction.

Fischer-Tropsch C18-C50 distillates are the base oils you get by putting natural gas through a chemical process invented by two German chemists in the 1920's.

Alkaryl amine probably refers to Diphenyl Amine. It's a very common antioxidant used in engine oils.

Alkylated Phenol Esters are a family of very common lube antioxidants.

Polyolefin Polyamine Succinimides are ashless dispersants. You will find them in virtually all engine oils, especially diesel oils.

C14-16-18 Alkyl Phenol is a phenol ring with a long chain alkyl group (containing between 14 and 18 carbons) attached to it. I honestly don't know why you would put this in oil. I could understand why you might put something like BHT in an oil (it's a common antioxidant) but this has far smaller alkyl groups and more of them. Maybe the wording is too general to be specific.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
You do know that chemical engineers (like me) are rubbish at chemistry?

Okay, from the top...

1-Decene is a hydrocarbon alpha-olefin containing 10 carbon atoms. It's the fundamental monomer building block used for making PAO base oil. I'm no expert but it sounds like 'raw' PAO is treated with hydrogen (hydrogenated) to saturate any residual double bonds that exist after the polymerisation reaction.

Fischer-Tropsch C18-C50 distillates are the base oils you get by putting natural gas through a chemical process invented by two German chemists in the 1920's.

Alkaryl amine probably refers to Diphenyl Amine. It's a very common antioxidant used in engine oils.

Alkylated Phenol Esters are a family of very common lube antioxidants.

Polyolefin Polyamine Succinimides are ashless dispersants. You will find them in virtually all engine oils, especially diesel oils.

C14-16-18 Alkyl Phenol is a phenol ring with a long chain alkyl group (containing between 14 and 18 carbons) attached to it. I honestly don't know why you would put this in oil. I could understand why you might put something like BHT in an oil (it's a common antioxidant) but this has far smaller alkyl groups and more of them. Maybe the wording is too general to be specific.

Great info. Thanks.

Pentadecane
Chemical Compound
Pentadecane is an alkane hydrocarbon with the chemical formula C₁₅H₃₂. Wikipedia
Boiling point: 519.1°F (270.6°C)
Formula: C15H32
Appearance: Colourless liquid
Alkane - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkane
Jump to Saturated cyclic hydrocarbons - In organic chemistry, an alkane, or paraffin is an acyclic saturated hydrocarbon. In other words, an alkane consists ...

gummi bears
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back