What is German Castrol's Base Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The MSDS for 0W-40 German Castrol lists "Pentadecane, 7-methylene-, mixed with 1-tetradecene, dimers and trimers,hydrogenated" as the base oil. Does anyone have a clue what this is (PAO, Ester, baby oil, etc.)?
21.gif

Thanks!

According to our resident Castrol person here on BITOG, it is predominantly PAO, which would make sense considering the fairly low pour point.

But what is the reason for your question?

Its made of excellence !!
I am currently waiting on a UOA for a 9kmi run in our Explorer (impatiently waiting, the last UOA we did was great (only) @ 5k mi though...

Edge 0w40 and 0w30 are PAO.

Other US Edge grades are mostly III.

Curiosity more than anything else. I've been a long time BITOG member and watcher, however I don't post very often.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The first one is P while 1-tetradecene is A O, so more or less this is a PAO synthetic oil.

I'm sorry.... what?

Was really thinking about pouring in this oil into my 2014 5.7L Hemi for my summer oil change and running a 1 year OCI...

What does this oil use in place of Moly? Alot of speculation the the Hemi w/MDS needs or requires a large amount of moly to keep from inquiring the so called hemi tick...

As remarkable of Pedigree as this oil has it just might not be suited for my 5.7L...

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
The case I bought off of Amazon-->Only place I can find it anymore.... These 6 Qts say nothing of Titanium...

Old stock.

Yup Old Version: I guess whatever Castrol was using for anti wear additive worked well... even though they never seemed to show up on the VOA...

I just did an oil change with this stuff on the Explorer. I'll be honest, given Castrol's reputation in this part of the world for being shady, I was a bit weary. Their products shipped in here from Dubai barely meet any of the specs on the bottle, and are definitely no match for their German counterparts.

I had this stuff shipped in from the U.S. and given its country of origin, in it went. Noticed a bit of a sweet smell after breaking the seal, which certain did put a smile on my face. Mobil 1 0W-40 was a bit noisy in this application, and the engine has quietened down considerably. Other than that, it's too early to tell with less than 300 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
The case I bought off of Amazon-->Only place I can find it anymore.... These 6 Qts say nothing of Titanium...

The 6 quarts I just got off Amazon have the Titanium labels. Not on the box only on the bottles. NOS boxes I guess
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back