Checking Lateral Runout Without Gauge

Is there any good methods to check rotor lateral runout without a gauge?

I suspect I have an issue. I had high speed steering wheel vibration at 110+ kmh. When I put my foot over the brake without pressing it I could feel vibration was transmitted to the padal at almost any speed. There was no vibration while actually braking.

The rear brakes looked pretty bad so I re-did them with original parts.

I suspect the previous shop who did the rear brakes did not clean the wheel hub before installing rotors. Instead of being frozen to the hub, the old rotor simply fell off. It's been a few years in the salt belt, so that shouldn't happen.

The hub were pretty rusty. I did my best to clean it using a wire brush, and knock off the protruding rust with a screwdriver. I did not have any power tool attachments, so doing this manually was pretty time consuming, so I couldn't get it perfect.

Replacing the rear brakes solved the problem 80%. I no longer feel the steering vibration, however if I put my foot over the brake pedal at 90 km/h or above I can still feel some vibration in the pedal.

I was thinking of going back and cleaning the hub again with power tools. It would be nice to check the runout before doing all that.

Any help is appreciated.

I would try mounting something like a small brazing rod or a length of wire coat hanger onto a stationary point on the body/suspension and point the other end of the rod pointing very close to the friction surface of the rotor. Then spin the rotor and observe the distance between the rod and the rotor.

🤷‍♂️

Back