Checking alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a volt meter and i want to check my alternator due to some issues i've been having with my car i think it may be bad. Basically i've read it should show somewhere around 13.5 volts when started and running at the battery with a volt meter, but my question is this:

what setting should the volt meter be on? i have ohms, AC, DC, all kinds of settings, what should i turn the knob to in order to get a correct reading..?

DC

Voltage only indicates one important factor. You really need to have a load tester to check current.

Take your car to a shop with a alternator/battery tester.

If you know some basics, you can check it out and at least know if the alternator is charging. Are you having trouble with the batt going dead and needing jump starts? Set meter to DC volts. If not an "auto-ranging" type, set to the 20V scale, since you are checking for about 12-14 volts. As far as needing a load tester to check current, You have several options for creating an electrical load on your alternator while the engine is running. Before starting your engine, just put leads across the batt and see what the resting voltage is, If you have all the doors shut and car has set for several hours at least, and your hood light is not on, your resting voltage should be around 12.6 for a good battery. Next, fire it up and check the volts at the batt again without putting any electrical load on the system. Voltage should be around 13.5 to 14.5 Next, starting turning on the electrical consumers (loads). One of the biggest ones is your heater/ac blower fan on high. Now see if your alternator is able to maintain at least 13-14 volts. If not, rev engine just a little and see if the additional rpms bring it up to the minimum voltage while under this load. Bigger charging systems may need more electrical load to really push the alternator during testing, so turn on a few other items like the high beams, etc. If you start getting sub-13 volt readings while under moderate loads, you may have something going on. On older alternators, the brushes wear and eventually need replaced. Check all grounds underhood, too. The rectifier (changes charging voltage to DC from AC) will sometimes have a diode go out, reducing the current and affecting the alternator's ability to maintain 13-14 volts while under load.. Also, alternators with built-in regulators are prone to failure when this hot running regulator finally gives up due to where it lives inside the heat producing alternator.

Meant to add- check carefully for resistance at all battery cable connections. This could be dirty or corroded connections, as well as loose.

If your battery went dead from just sitting for 5 days, then either something was left on, or battery is no good.

An alternator has a diode bridge to convert AC to DC and sometimes one of the diodes goes, but normally it goes open, not shorted.

Also the voltage put out by the alternator somewhat depends upon how much charge the battery needs. If its fully charged then much closer to 14V, if the battery needs a lot of charge then higher than 14V.

well the battery is fine, its an optima red top thats about a year old and i've never had issues with it, i am having some electrical issues in my car so it could very easily be something else that caused it to drain, but i figure i'll start at the alternator and go from there since i already looked over the wiring and from what i saw it looks ok

I use a quick check on cars with idiot lights.
Turn everything on: Put foot on brake, engine running, car in gear, radio, fan on high, highbeams, dome light, cigarette lighter pushed in, turn emergency flashers on.
IF idiot light is still not glowing, alternator is good.
thumbsup.gif

Here's how Ford taught me years ago at their training center.
Bring and keep engine at a fast idle (1500- 2000)
Induce as much as a load as you can - blower,highbeams,wipers basically everything
Check voltage w/meter at battery
Results should be a min of .5v over base and a max of 2.0v over base
Base voltage = 2.1v per cell (3cell bat =6.3v, 6cell bat = 12.6v, 12cell bat = 25.2v

quick and dirty test of a functional alternator is to place a magnetic compass on top of the hood near the alternator. it should so crazy if the alternator is charging. if the alternator is dead it wil read 1 direction and not move.

i figured this one when my cars hood broke and i wasnt able to open it for a long time. i had to invent ways to fixs things without actually touching them :p

OK i ended up just going to advance auto parts where they tested it and everything was fine... i evenplugged in my radar detector (which i forgot measures voltage) and it showed about 13.6 at idle. So if anyone else has any ideas on my wiring problem please feel free to post and help me out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back