Soldering correctly wire to spade

- I had put a bit on each. The photos may not have shown but I had wiped both with it. (That’s part of my confusion, shouldn’t that direct the solder wicking?)

- I do put the iron on the larger component. All the same the wire gets really hot, insulation starts to soften and smoke, etc.

- I can say that despite the joints looking bad, I did put a decent amount of solder into the wires. You can watch it suck in.

- I’ve always read that but I don’t usually see it. I guess at least somewhat due to my adversity to burning other stuff nearby from it all getting so hot in the wrong directions.

Thanks!!
Powerful soldering iron, higher temp is actually BETTER IF you know how to solder. Hot and off and done. A tip that drops temp makes you dwell longer and ruins the parts and the joint.

Powerful soldering iron, higher temp is actually BETTER IF you know how to solder. Hot and off and done. A tip that drops temp makes you dwell longer and ruins the parts and the joint.
Thanks. Going to look into the one you mention. And paste. And practice.

- I had put a bit on each. The photos may not have shown but I had wiped both with it. (That’s part of my confusion, shouldn’t that direct the solder wicking?)

- I can say that despite the joints looking bad, I did put a decent amount of solder into the wires. You can watch it suck in.

- I’ve always read that but I don’t usually see it. I guess at least somewhat due to my adversity to burning other stuff nearby from it all getting so hot in the wrong directions.

Thanks!!

My rule in regards to flux is that too much is better than too little. I always use quite a lot. It won't hurt a thing.

Solder wicking will happen but only to the wire. Looking at your pictures, you also needed to direct the solder manually from the wire and to the connector, to create a small pool there that would encapsulate the wire.

I combined your solder photo with the OEM one, as you can see you don't have that full encapsulation to of the wire to the connector as the OEM solder does. That is what you want once the wire is saturated with solder.

Solder.jpg

My rule in regards to flux is that too much is better than too little. I always use quite a lot. It won't hurt a thing.

Solder wicking will happen but only to the wire. Looking at your pictures, you also needed to direct the solder manually from the wire and to the connector, to create a small pool there that would encapsulate the wire.

I combined your solder photo with the OEM one, as you can see you don't have that full encapsulation to of the wire to the connector as the OEM solder does. That is what you want once the wire is saturated with solder.

View attachment 200569
Thanks. Yes, the OEM one, though not really much of a connection, had that nice pool.

Should I have just kept feeding it (with or without heat)?

Or is this because I still didn’t have enough heat (or flux)?

Thanks!

Thanks. Yes, the OEM one, though not really much of a connection, had that nice pool.

Should I have just kept feeding it (with or without heat)?

Or is this because I still didn’t have enough heat (or flux)?

Thanks!
Yes, I think you should have kept feeding it more solder until it was nicely covered like your OEM connection.
If you didn't have enough flux, the solder would not want to stick, so if you didn't see that, you probably used enough and in right places.

Looking at the picture, these sort of bubbling indicates not enough heat. Maybe it was hot enough and then you added more on top when the heat was taken away.
I would add more flux to it and heat it up again. It should flow into the wire better and then add more solder to the eye of the connector to cover it all up.

IMG_3960.jpeg

I've got a big'ol electric hand drill shaped one like @JHZR2 that I've had over 30yrs. The best I can do is bird poop solder even with paste/flux. Not enough heat in the right spot I presume. If I used it more, I'd be more inclined to buy the right stuff and upgrade my skills.

Even a small iron should do that job, unless if it's 14g wire or something, a 35W iron with even a pencil tip should make quick work of it. A big iron should be fast and done.

I have come to love Teflon wire, bit harder to strip, but never an insulation problem from soldering... save all that I can scrounge! no help here, of course. Find some scrap wire to practice on, although I still think you're fighting corrosion.

Like photography is really about capturing light, I think soldering is more about painting heat, and getting the solder to go there. it flows with the heat.

i have never been able to solder with a gun. I can solder all day long with my 35 year old rat shack 27W iron, or a butane torch, but not with the gun. Bought a 40W Weller soldering station, which was a pretty poor product considering the name, and enjoy the extra wattage for heavy copper but really only need it around 60-70% power most of the time.

even with the 27w, iron needs to get hot. I like the description above … wet the tip to build a “heat bridge” which starts to soak in to the joint, then start applying solder to the joint as it flows, then if needed start dragging the iron towards areas that need more, bringing the solder feed with it. “Heat bridge” is a good tip, then paint with heat. Pull off if other things get too hot, blow it cool, and have another go if needed.

Reactions: JTK
Successful soldering requires heat transfer. It's actually the solder that transfers the heat. A dry iron doesn't transfer heat the way a set iron does. This is why pre-tinning the parts separately helps, as does the "heat bridge".

Adding solder can also cool the joint; this is where the practice comes in; getting a feel for how much solder to add. I prefer small diameter solder for most jobs. I use 63/37, 0.031" dia.

Wouldn't a crimped female spade connector be easier and also more reliable? I was always under the impression that soldered joints were not ideal in automobiles due to the amount of impacts and vibrations (although the factory solder has lasted).

Wouldn't a crimped female spade connector be easier and also more reliable? I was always under the impression that soldered joints were not ideal in automobiles due to the amount of impacts and vibrations (although the factory solder has lasted).
High rel space and military and comm use solder. Soldering is more reliable than crimping.

BUT there are some hard rules of course.

And we have not even touched on double and triple tinning, gold embrittlement, wicking under the insulation, etc.

Lots of options. The replacement speakers came with female spades on one end and bare leads on the other. I guess I could have butt spliced or even soldered that. Maybe the end product would be better.

But I wanted to try my hand at replicating the OE approach. And failed.

One of the speakers in my 1991 300D went out. Open circuit.

I have a proper soldering iron, and a soldering gun.

I can never seem to get enough heat at the right places, and my work looks like trash.

I found some well reviewed drop in replacement speakers, but they just had two male spade terminals. The old OE speaker had similar with the wire just slightly soldered to it.

I’m trying to solder the OE DIN connector to the new speaker. Not having much luck with a good looking, quality job.

I ran the wire through the hole in the spade, wrapped it around. It had some rosin flux on the wire. Used a weller soldering gun. I just can’t get enough heat to get it to flow without it being too hot elsewhere. And when I get it to flow (0.6mm 60/40), it looks like this:

View attachment 200439

Added a bit more to the rear of each spade and it looks like this:

View attachment 200440

I don’t know if I should start over, add more solder, or what. How do I make this better? Maybe I should have just butt jointed to the OE wire. Or what? Does it really matter for this? The end of the DIN connector does meter out to 3.6 Ohms.

Thanks!
I always use solder flux. Tin the lead and terminal first, then solder.

Back