CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE!

38/35 nitrogen in the ex wife’s new Suzuki Swift Sport. 39/36 nitrogen in the daughter’s Suzuki SX4. 40/37 nitrogen in my BA Falcon.

TPMS went off last night, which was odd since I was at the dealer Tuesday for warranty work and ASKED SPECIFICALLY for them to check tire pressure for me when I was there.

I suspect it was overlooked because of the focus on replacing the warrantied item; all four were at exactly 27.5psi according to my digital gauge this morning; two valve stem caps were so tight I needed pliers to turn them which was odd.

Oh well, ten minutes and my portable compressor and problem is solved. Worth the $30 or so I spent on it a year ago.

Back to 35psi for all four tires; the compressor will come with me on the road trip, just in case.

Checked them just the other day and with all of the cooler weather they were down. I fix that. Its been getting down near freezing at night here on the wetside!

I'm now seeing 50+ degree differences between my garage and the temps outside, which means I check the pressure monitor leaving work and add a couple PSI as needed this time of year when I get home. The reading in the garage is always going to be considerably higher than my cold target now so it adds a layer of complexity :)

Been adding lots of pressure with the dropping temperatures. I use a small, cheap 12-volt inflator that I carry in the primary vehicle, as free air hoses are very hard to find. We follow the door post spec, except on front drivers I always bump up the heavy side a little. On the AWD Pilot, 35 psi all around. For the front driver Equinox, 35 psi front but drop the rear to 32 psi unless it's loaded down. On the Miata, we use the door posted 26 psi all around.

Hey all, is it pretty much typical (or a generalization) that the driving wheel PSIs will increase at a faster rate than the non-driving wheels when in motion?

Yep, daily here, too. But just a visual. We find that once we get a tire seated well on the rim we simply don't lose air pressure any more. These are "E" rated Michelin LTX MS and MS2's.

I have load range E tires too. They only need air when the seasons change or if there is a leak. Typically twice a year I adjust the pressure

My car has an individual readout for all 4 tires that I check often.

Yep, daily here, too. But just a visual. We find that once we get a tire seated well on the rim we simply don't lose air pressure any

more. These are "E" rated Michelin LTX MS and MS2's.

My car has an individual readout for all 4 tires that I check often.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Am I the only one who checks it monthly, or before a road trip, regardless of season?

I check it weekly, at least.
wink.gif
So do I.

I do it during an oil change (every 3-4 months) while it’s draining. I probably should check more frequently because when we had really cold days last month the light came on and all the tires were around 26-28psi 😳. I usually set them at 34-35psi.

I want to thank all of you great folks for recommending the Jaco tire pressure gauges. I have 2 of them now, one on my car and one I keep at home. They are heavy duty and so accurate!

I'll add, don't forget to check your compact spare! A colleague just had a blowout and put his compact spare on, and I noticed his spare looked might low. I offered to check it for him, and his 60 PSI spare was at 17! A while back I invested in cheap 12 volt inflator from Harbor Freight to keep in the truck, so I filled it up for him.

I want to thank all of you great folks for recommending the Jaco tire pressure gauges. I have 2 of them now, one on my car and one I keep at home. They are heavy duty and so accurate!
It’s uncanny. My 4 tires are the same to the 0.1, when set as such, when checked weeks later. I’ve suggested it to others and they laugh as if I’m made of money getting that. I get it most wouldn’t care +/- 2 or 3 psi or simply using the nitrogen machine at costco (it does seem to be consistent).

It’s uncanny. My 4 tires are the same to the 0.1, when set as such, when checked weeks later. I’ve suggested it to others and they laugh as if I’m made of money getting that. I get it most wouldn’t care +/- 2 or 3 psi or simply using the nitrogen machine at costco (it does seem to be consistent).
My tires change pressure obviously when it is cold. I am very OCD, so I check them frequently and have a portable inflator. I was sick and tired of wasting money at the gas station especially when it is cold, and the tire inflator machines do not work and were totally inaccurate.

My tires change pressure obviously when it is cold. I am very OCD, so I check them frequently and have a portable inflator. I was sick and tired of wasting money at the gas station especially when it is cold, and the tire inflator machines do not work and were totally inaccurate.
I’m like you. So I spent over $25 for a Jaco elite. I don’t even use it all the time, only when I’m at costco. And I release some pressure and make them exact to 0.1 overnight cold. I admit if a person inflates at costco it’s generally good enough. But I want it exact…and even nitrogen seems to be 1 psi per 10F. People say the benefit is it takes longer to leak through the sidewalk that’s all

Reactions: rcs
But I want it exact…and even nitrogen seems to be 1 psi per 10F. People say the benefit is it takes longer to leak through the sidewalk that’s all
Yeah, It takes longer to pass through the rubber than Oxygen. It's also had the water removed, so helps prevent corrosion on the inner part of the wheel.
Nitrogen reacts to temp the same as plain old air. Plain old air is 80% Nitrogen anyway.

Back