Check your spark plugs if you order them online

Woops! Here you go.

[Linked Image]

It also appears that the fake plug have more discoloration on the threads as opposed to the two authentic plugs on the lower left. These plugs have 20,000 miles on them.

the funny thing is the offset printing and number stamping on the ring versus the hex is clearly seen in that picture.

Just remember, these things are made at a factory with all the trimmings- not in a garage on the weekend with a Dremel tool

Even the fact they actually work for a while shows a level of engineering with sub standard quality materials. The fact that all "fit" the genuine article shows a high degree of familiarity (and access to detailed information- hint hint)

This is all deliberate and quite common "over there"

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR
the funny thing is the offset printing and number stamping on the ring versus the hex is clearly seen in that picture.

Just remember, these things are made at a factory with all the trimmings- not in a garage on the weekend with a Dremel tool

Even the fact they actually work for a while shows a level of engineering with sub standard quality materials. The fact that all "fit" the genuine article shows a high degree of familiarity (and access to detailed information- hint hint)

This is all deliberate and quite common "over there"

Also, if you look at the electrodes they are worn out versus the authentic plugs. The threads appear to be 1000 of an inch off and indicate leaking all the way up to the gasket versus the authentic plugs.

Originally Posted by Amkeer

Also, if you look at the electrodes they are worn out versus the authentic plugs. The threads appear to be 1000 of an inch off and indicate leaking all the way up to the gasket versus the authentic plugs.

Here's what happens a lot (personally seen and dealt with it)

They buy the billet material from various suppliers

Many times the materials do not pass any number of QA/QC checks and gets rejected.

The supplier is then screwed unless he can repurpose it

They will often make a "drug deal" with someone at the facility or a facility with similar equipment ( presses and such) and make a very minimal die investment.

Then they see the profit and want more

Remember, these counterfeits are also made in lots by the thousands per run- this takes dedicated facilities, equipment, tooling, people, engineering, packaging and logistics.

You cannot hide an aircraft carrier in a duck pond- remember that.

You will not stop this because it has various govt and political support over there. (except by moving it over here)

Is this mostly a problem with NGK and Denso?

I ordered some Autolite Double Platinum on Amazon recently. They looked fine. The seller was identified as Fram.

Woops! Here you go.

[Linked Image]

I'd be curious to see the electrode on a new, fake one. I highly doubt it looks like the genuine one.

Man. Glad I found this. Ordered some Denso iridium plugs off eBay last year for my tundra. I am going to pull them and check at least a couple. I think they were about $6 each

I had previously ordered some ac delco plugs for our Denali Off eBay. Guessing I need to check these also?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Elroy the Unique

I ordered some Autolite Double Platinum on Amazon recently. They looked fine. The seller was identified as Fram.

Nobody is counterfeiting Autolite

It is mostly a problem with Denso and NGK because those two brands cost more since they are much higher quality. The cheaper plugs like Autolite and Champion are so inexpensive there is no incentive for someone to buy a fake, and little profit to be made off of copying them

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Woops! Here you go.

[Linked Image]

I'd be curious to see the electrode on a new, fake one. I highly doubt it looks like the genuine one.

The electrodes were exactly as pictured on the two lower left plugs. Clearly they were not iridium as they wouldn't have worn like they did. I am so glad I caught them when I did.

Before covid-19 I was at a local gentleman's club and many staff members had counterfeit parts. Luckily, I was not the one who purchased them.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

It is mostly a problem with Denso and NGK because those two brands cost more since they are much higher quality. The cheaper plugs like Autolite and Champion are so inexpensive there is no incentive for someone to buy a fake, and little profit to be made off of copying them

Thanks. I'm surprised that people think Autolite plugs are low quality.

The ones picked up seem to be working great. Double Platinum (so I'm assuming good for 100,000 miles, which is fine by me).

I replaced some Denso Iridium Power plugs which I am not satisfied with. After 35,000 miles 3/6 plugs had NO center electrode left at all (just a nub) when I pulled them out of my van. I was kind of shocked That's shorter life than even copper plugs. No wonder the van was misfiring. Never again with those garbage plugs.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Thanks. I'm surprised that people think Autolite plugs are low quality.

The ones picked up seem to be working great. Double Platinum (so I'm assuming good for 100,000 miles, which is fine by me).

I replaced some Denso Iridium Power plugs which I am not satisfied with. After 35,000 miles 3/6 plugs had NO center electrode left at all (just a nub) when I pulled them out of my van. I was kind of shocked That's shorter life than even copper plugs. No wonder the van was misfiring. Never again with those garbage plugs.

sounds to me like you have some counterfeit denso plugs

Originally Posted by jdw1222

Yep, or some major engine defect or malfunction. Denso along with NGK make well-made spark plugs. The iridium ones in my old Sienna, ECHO and BMW look very good even after 100,000 miles. If his were worn down to nubs after 35,000 miles then either they are fake or there is something else going on.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by jdw1222

Yep, or some major engine defect or malfunction. Denso along with NGK make well-made spark plugs. The iridium ones in my old Sienna, ECHO and BMW look very good even after 100,000 miles. If his were worn down to nubs after 35,000 miles then either they are fake or there is something else going on.

The vehicle is absolutely fine. It was these terrible Denso Spark Plugs.

I did purchase the Denso spark plugs on Amazon a few years ago. The seller was Denso.

I seems like it might be too risky to buy Denso or NGK spark plugs---apparently so many counterfeits with those 2 brands.

Since the Autolite seem to be working great, I'll probably stick with that brand for a while. I have not noticed any problems with them. No misfires, and van runs great.

Last edited:

I did purchase the Denso spark plugs on Amazon a few years ago. The seller was Denso.

I seems like it might be too risky to buy Denso or NGK spark plugs---apparently so many counterfeits with those 2 brands.

Since the Autolite seem to be working great, I'll probably stick with that brand for a while. I have not noticed any problems with them. No misfires, and van runs great.

Okay sure.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Okay sure.

What do you mean OK sure?

Are you saying that I shouldn't be mad that the Denso Iridium Power Spark Plugs were worn down to the nubs after 35,000 miles? 3/6 had a huge gap. I was shocked.

I'm not loyal to a specific brand. My experience with the Denso (which I bought based on their reputation) was terrible. I would expect copper plugs to last longer.

Never again on Denso. For NGK, I've had great experience with NGK plugs, but I'm not even sure where to buy them from, if what you are saying is true. That there are a ton of fradulent Denso and NGK counterfeit plugs on the market. Seems risky.

I don't want the family stranded. So excuse my concern....

Last edited:
Your plugs were fake like the ones that I had that wore down within 30,000 miles. Denso and NGK make some of the best plugs.

I changed out my fake Denso eBay plugs this weekend from (I hope) real ones from Napa Auto Parts. This is what all 6 plugs looks like at 19, 500 miles (sorry about the photo- all I had at the time was my phone camera). I cleared the codes and so far no check engine light. Lesson learned.

Attachments

• Fake plugs02.jpg
    Fake plugs02.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 67
Back