Check your spark plugs if you order them online

Joined
May 6, 2003
Messages
3,031
Location
Florida
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] Bought some NGK Iridium plugs to put in the 2014 Tacoma and 2008 Tundra back in 2017. Both vehicles can take the same plug. I found out today thanks to BITOG that the plugs are counterfeit. The plugs have less than 40,000 on them and I was shocked at the level of wear for a Iridium plug. So instead of ordering them online I went up to Autozone a Authorized Reseller and purchased 6 new, identical plugs. I changed them out in the Tacoma the Tundra will have to wait for another day and won't get used until they are changed. I called NGK and confirmed with them they are fakes. My advice is if you have changed plugs and didn't get them from a authorized reseller you may want to check them. There is no telling what could happen if you leave them in.
 

Amkeer

Thread starter
Joined
May 6, 2003
Messages
3,031
Location
Florida
Yup got them from Amazon. I had a nice little discussion with NGK. It turns out that a lot of fake plugs are being sold. I will be buying from NGK.com or sparkplugs.com if I don't get them locally. Can't take the chance.
 
Joined
Jun 3, 2002
Messages
8,268
Location
MI
Amkeer, please tell us how NGK confirmed your plugs were counterfeit. In recent discussions here, it seems that members thought that Amazon was less reliable vs. Rock Auto for genuine plugs due to their respective business models. We recently discussed that Rock Auto uses the same supply warehouses that the big box auto stores (AA, Autozone,Oreilly, etc.). Yet, one member claimed he still got counterfeits from RA. How do we know the suppliers that NAPA, Advanced, etc. uses supply genuine plugs any more than Rock Auto? Edit: Mr. Nice, that Motorcraft video is scary. Almost impossible to discern the fake without having a genuine one to compare AND knowing what to look for.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Apr 6, 2018
Messages
2,334
Location
Somewhere in time
Originally Posted by doitmyself
How do we know the suppliers that NAPA, Advanced, etc. uses supply genuine plugs any more than Rock Auto?
Agreed. I fail to see how brick and mortar storefronts have different and more effective supply chain quality controls in place.
 
Joined
May 18, 2015
Messages
453
Location
NE US
Originally Posted by Ram02
I brought my NGK plugs from Rockauto I hope they wasn't fake
I don't trust Rockauto to get anything right lately. Ordered a brake set kit, got three front rotors. Ordered a windshield wiper motor, got a power steering pump. Something isn't right over there the last month or two.
 
Joined
Jun 3, 2005
Messages
16,239
Location
Santa Barbara, CA
Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by doitmyself
How do we know the suppliers that NAPA, Advanced, etc. uses supply genuine plugs any more than Rock Auto?
Agreed. I fail to see how brick and mortar storefronts have different and more effective supply chain quality controls in place.
FWIW our parts come direct from Ford and Mazda. There is no middleman except for our FADs (Ford Authorized Distributors) where certain Motorcraft parts come from. It would not be in their best interest to sell a counterfeit part as they would lose their ability to be a FAD.
 
Joined
Jan 9, 2010
Messages
8,310
Location
Los Gatos, CA
Don't feel bad. I bought a set of genuine Toyota coils on Ebay for my 2001 Tundra. Under $300 for 8 coils... Denso coils should be $60 minimum a piece... One failed in a month. Seller is no longer on Ebay.
 
Joined
Apr 18, 2020
Messages
1,964
Location
USA
Originally Posted by doitmyself
Amkeer, please tell us how NGK confirmed your plugs were counterfeit. In recent discussions here, it seems that members thought that Amazon was less reliable vs. Rock Auto for genuine plugs due to their respective business models. We recently discussed that Rock Auto uses the same supply warehouses that the big box auto stores (AA, Autozone,Oreilly, etc.). Yet, one member claimed he still got counterfeits from RA. How do we know the suppliers that NAPA, Advanced, etc. uses supply genuine plugs any more than Rock Auto? Edit: Mr. Nice, that Motorcraft video is scary. Almost impossible to discern the fake without having a genuine one to compare AND knowing what to look for.
You never will. I have dealt with this for decades overseas and inspecting facilities to certify them on large projects. These companies have procurement departments that purchase sight unseen ( and most don't physically visit and certify the facility)- that's bad enough Some countries (China, Korea, India, Pakistan and Taiwan that I know of) who make "legitimate" parts will also make bootleg components and sell them through fronts. ( often in the same facility or the one next door- all it takes is a few bills in the right hand and nobody knows anything) They are also inserted at the freight forwarder and containers sawed open then welded and repainted leaving the seal intact ( one reason it takes a while to get through customs, LOL) Then you have clone shops who buy, back engineer and then mass produce. Depending on what it is, some are almost perfect copies except for individual serial or lot numbers. Others use lesser quality materials so they work but not as long. All kinds of ways and even the most diligent of suppliers has them slip through from time to time
 
Joined
Nov 20, 2006
Messages
26,828
Location
MA, Mittelfranken.de
I bought some NGK Ruthenium from Rock Auto last month and after reading about all the fakes I decided to call them. The guy said the info that supposedly came from NGK in a popular video is not correct as far as numbers on the plug are concerned, it would seem the guy that made the video is embellishing the facts to some extent. He also said he couldn't tell me much more as if anyone could get that info with just a phone call or email they could and would address that in the fake, makes sense. He did say Amazon, ebay and Rock are the places with the most complaints about fakes which surprised me a bit when he said Rock, I thought they were so big they would not risk selling fakes but apparently they have no control of the purchasing arrangements of their warehouses as has been mentioned in another thread here on Bitog. NGK.com, Napa, AA where mentioned as a safe place to buy, their website list quite a few authorized dealers. I will buy from Napa from now on. BTW the NGK I got from Rock meet the criteria for genuine inc the packaging. https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/about-us/where-to-buy
 
Joined
Jun 3, 2002
Messages
8,268
Location
MI
Yikes! GEBO, believer of everything OEM dealer purchased might get the last laugh and wish us a hearty "I told you so"!
 
Joined
Jan 3, 2004
Messages
6,123
Location
northern Alabama
Originally Posted by Amkeer
Yup got them from Amazon. I had a nice little discussion with NGK. It turns out that a lot of fake plugs are being sold. I will be buying from NGK.com or sparkplugs.com if I don't get them locally. Can't take the chance.
Got them from Amazon as is Amazon was the seller or someone was selling them on Amazon?
 
Joined
Jan 22, 2011
Messages
5,908
Location
Ohio
I was wondering when you called the the NGK, how was it determined they were fakes? Sure look like the real ones. Funny thing, I remember back in the 70's, there were some counterfeit Fram oil filters going around. Cut them open and the media was glued to a vegetable can!
 
Last edited:

Amkeer

Thread starter
Joined
May 6, 2003
Messages
3,031
Location
Florida
So NGK confirmed with me based on numbers and marking on the plugs. The numbers were the specific giveaway. For us it was immediate upon viewing the condition of the plugs. I have never seen plugs so bad when I took them out as these. All 6 were in the same condition. I ordered the set for my Tundra on NGK.com.
 
Joined
Apr 18, 2020
Messages
1,964
Location
USA
Originally Posted by Amkeer
So NGK confirmed with me based on numbers and marking on the plugs. The numbers were the specific giveaway. For us it was immediate upon viewing the condition of the plugs. I have never seen plugs so bad when I took them out as these. All 6 were in the same condition. I ordered the set for my Tundra on NGK.com.
Its a chronic problem with many things. I have actually seen home shops making various articles in China and the Caribbean. At least with these parts you have a lot of triggers and things to check like ISO fonts, dye specs, stamping specs and such- try it with fasteners and pipe /fittings. You just about have to weigh and/or UT/X-ray every one
 
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
5,171
Location
VA
Originally Posted by doitmyself
Yikes! GEBO, believer of everything OEM dealer purchased might get the last laugh and wish us a hearty "I told you so"!
I ain't exactly laughing but I am experiencing a certain warm wave of smugness (almost to the level of self righteousness) coming over me. You older guys remember the commercials when they poke the Pillsbury Doughboy in the belly and he giggles that crazy little giggle? I love you guys. thumbsup
 
Top