Check your spark plugs if you order them online

Originally Posted by Amkeer
So NGK confirmed with me based on numbers and marking on the plugs. The numbers were the specific giveaway. For us it was immediate upon viewing the condition of the plugs. I have never seen plugs so bad when I took them out as these. All 6 were in the same condition.

I ordered the set for my Tundra on NGK.com.

NGK told me the numbers themselves were not any sort of indicator if authenticity, the manufacturer of the fakes could just as easily buy a real plug and use any or all the numbers he said which makes perfect sense to me anyway.
How the numbers were applied (stamping, etching, engraving, etc) may be an indicator but he would not get into the nitty gritty. Now fakes are becoming more of an issue it is simply safer to shell out a couple of more bucks per and buy from an authorized dealer, pretty simple solution for peace of mind I'd say.

I would be leery of buying parts from Ebay or Amazon. If they are way cheaper there is a good reason why.

Bought filters on eBay for years … first time I did so I still had a local purchase (at 60% more cost) … gave them a good side by side. I also cut open 100% and so far no issues.
Yesterday I went to O'R to get a filter I ran out of … great reminder of why I bought them on eBay …

Originally Posted by Trav
Now fakes are becoming more of an issue it is simply safer to shell out a couple of more bucks per and buy from an authorized dealer, pretty simple solution for peace of mind I'd say.

That's not a guarantee. Its common for legitimate shipments to be intercepted, connexes/ containers cut open and contents exchanged. This not only pushes the false product but gives them the genuine article for the black market.

We actually had to internally inspect containers for torch and plasma cuts and welds for QA before accepting some shipments.

We actually discovered it when a shipment of mules ( the vehicle) was opened and it was all dirt (weighed the same)- intercepted at the freight forwarder and the entire front end with the seal ( doors, frame and all) was surgically cut and welded

This happens all the time across the pond. (that's assuming the genuine article made it to the shipper in the first place)

They are getting better, smarter and bolder.

I'm starting to wonder if I am real. Am I genuine or just a fake copy? Hmmm.....

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR
So NGK confirmed with me based on numbers and marking on the plugs. The numbers were the specific giveaway. For us it was immediate upon viewing the condition of the plugs. I have never seen plugs so bad when I took them out as these. All 6 were in the same condition.

I ordered the set for my Tundra on NGK.com.

Its a chronic problem with many things. I have actually seen home shops making various articles in China and the Caribbean.

At least with these parts you have a lot of triggers and things to check like ISO fonts, dye specs, stamping specs and such- try it with fasteners and pipe /fittings.

You just about have to weigh and/or UT/X-ray every one

Caution will be in order when ordering anything from now on.

For what it's worth regarding the NGK Rutheniums, I just got off the phone with a NGK "phone person" and she claimed that they have not received any reports yet on fake Rutheniums. "The Rutheniums are relatively new and the counterfeiters have not caught up YET". She advised to inspect the packaging carefully for poor quality (my plugs are installed and not accessible to inspect). Unlike some other NGK's, she stated all Rutheniums are currently made in Japan, which concurs with the packaging.

I installed some Denso OE-type iridiums on my parent's van almost 4 years ago - I bought them off Amazon but not from a 3rd party. I'm going to check the front 3 plugs to make sure they are genuine. The ones I installed were made in the US I think.

Except for OPE, I try not to buy plugs from Amazon these days.

Originally Posted by Trav
NGK told me the numbers themselves were not any sort of indicator if authenticity, the manufacturer of the fakes could just as easily buy a real plug and use any or all the numbers he said which makes perfect sense to me anyway.
How the numbers were applied (stamping, etching, engraving, etc) may be an indicator but he would not get into the nitty gritty.

This is NGK's information on their website:

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/fake/index.html

I saw that before I called them, someone posted somewhere about the stamped code on the body and claimed NGK said that number doesn't exist and that is an indicator that they are fake.
They told me this is not the case and those numbers would be easy to fake properly, they just need to buy one legit plug to get a good number. That makes sense to me.

Originally Posted by PolarisX
Originally Posted by Ram02
I brought my NGK plugs from Rockauto I hope they wasn't fake

I don't trust Rockauto to get anything right lately.

Ordered a brake set kit, got three front rotors. Ordered a windshield wiper motor, got a power steering pump. Something isn't right over there the last month or two.

Pretty weird. I've been using them for 11 years without any issues. The one issue I had was getting gear oil in which case the box was damaged during shipping and damaged one of the bottles. I personally love them

If you have plugs that were not purchased from an authorized reseller it would be wise to pull one out to verify. The pictures I posted clearly show the name is not centered on the porcelain ring. I am glad I figured this out now. Count this as a learning experience. Last year I also found out the Maui Jim sunglasses I purchased were counterfeit. Live and learn.

It is not only NGKs that come in counterfeit varieties. I bought some ACDelco Iridium plugs (# 41-993) off eBay I believe to be fake. My suspicions arose when I discovered that all ACDelco plugs come from the factory properly pre-gapped (per their web site and direct human confirmation). The ones I bought were spec'ed for .060" but all came out of the box at right around .045".

Live and learn.

Last edited:
Rats- I had no idea spark plugs can be counterfeited. Bought 6 Denso's for my Rav4 last year from ebay. Haven't had an issue yet but I'm going pull the front 3 and see what they look like. Dag nabbit.

Always remember ( speaking specifically on spark plugs)- it takes machines such as cold formers, punch presses, robotic welding and ceramic casting ability to "make" counterfeit plugs.

These are not found at the local flea market, require immense power requirements and wouldn't fit in a good sized house and make enough noise to wake the dead.

These are not done in somebody's back room with nobody knowing about it by 2 people at night. It takes a complete factory with equipment, maintenance, suppliers and employees- not to mention the engineering, controls logic etc ( hard to hide all that in a closet)

Many of the same facilities who make the genuine article also make the less than genuine article- don't ever forget that.

Some are legitimate defects from discards but not all.

Just so you know

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR
Always remember ( speaking specifically on spark plugs)- it takes machines such as cold formers, punch presses, robotic welding and ceramic casting ability to "make" counterfeit plugs.

These are not found at the local flea market, require immense power requirements and wouldn't fit in a good sized house and make enough noise to wake the dead.

These are not done in somebody's back room with nobody knowing about it by 2 people at night. It takes a complete factory with equipment, maintenance, suppliers and employees- not to mention the engineering, controls logic etc ( hard to hide all that in a closet)

Many of the same facilities who make the genuine article also make the less than genuine article- don't ever forget that.

Some are legitimate defects from discards but not all.

Just so you know

I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up!
12.gif

Conclusion:

The last of the plugs have been changed. I changed the plugs in the Tacoma and just did the Tundra today. You will notice of the 8 plugs the 2 on the bottom left are authentic NGK. I ordered 3 packs of 4 plugs and 2 singles. The 2 singles were directly sold and shipped from Amazon and are authentic. The 4 packs were sold and shipped by a vendor on Amazon.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:

Conclusion:

The last of the plugs have been changed. I changed the plugs in the Tacoma and just did the Tundra today. You will notice of the 8 plugs the 2 on the bottom left are authentic NGK. I ordered 3 packs of 4 plugs and 2 singles. The 2 singles were directly sold and shipped from Amazon and are authentic. The 4 packs were sold and shipped by a vendor on Amazon.
[Linked Image]

can't see the image
crazy2.gif

Back