Check your gear oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1, some of the owner at the duramax forum found factory fill to be a quart low only after a few thousand miles.

Yeah it's always dicey taking your rig to a quick lube for a gear lube service.not all are bad, just most. For example most assume you just fill the diff until it spills out the fill hole and you are good to go. They ignore the service manual which may state otherwise ( example some late model Chevrolet Silverado 1500's require not completely filling the rear diff).

A while back I was at the GMC dealer where I know the owners and one of their techs. I had to drop something off. The service mgr told to go out in the shop and take a look at this GMC Envoy. The front differential had seized up. Apparently the lady owner had taken it into the local quick lube place for an oil change. The Envoy had over 50,000 miles on it (off warranty) and a week or so after the oil change the front end locked up one early am (she is a ER nurse)and had to be towed to the dealer. When they got it to the GMC dealer they found the drain plug was missing from the front axle. The only place that touched the vehicle was the QL place.

The gears look wet in the picture. So, did they run out of gear oil or was the 'end acting up and owner try to run to the quicklube for some overdue maintenance???? Makes you wonder.

If a diff is dry and in use, it'll make noise. Just drive until it grenades.....

I blame the owner as much as the jippylube here, especially if it was failing prior to the maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back