Check your dog food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Exactly and pointless for me to comment further (yeah, I know) :eek:)

If you believe mankind and the entire animal kingdom would have a healthy life eating one food from one manufacturer for your entire life, well, then ... good luck to you and I hope it works out.

Clear you don't read labels. Why would you think every food from a manufacturer is identical sans the protein?

Nobody is talking about the single type of food? Who said same time of food? A variety of carrots doesn't keep you healthier. A carrot is just a carrot. It doesn't matter from whom you buy it from.

Dogs and Cats have fairly simple nutritional needs. It's not rocket science but a matter of cost.

I have no idea what you are talking about, no disrespect intended, we clearly have a communications gap between each other and it seems you with others.
If you go back and read all my posts my thoughts are sound and clear.

This is what you posted "Disagree here. IMO it's not the brand but the composition and protein source. For example take Nature's Variety, Orijen (sp?), etc. These brands offer a variety of protein sources and proteins are the primary ingredient. You can buy canned, dry, raw, limited ingredient in fish, chicken, rabbit, deer, beef, lamb, etc etc. What your suggesting is akin to saying don't only buy chicken from Publix because its different from the chicken sold at Kroger."

You say "its not the brand" and make it sound like brands are the same like Kroger chicken and Publix Chicken = Your words, so if that is not what you mean, then go back and read my words.

Again, no disrespect, my posts are clear on my position and I can clearly see others agree with me. So unsure on your comments and what you mean.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
hahahaha... on the species appropriate mumbo-jumbo.
How would you like to eat one single type of food (day in and day out) for a lifetime?
A variety of food will keep your dog healthier, just like a variety keeps us healthier.
No Rocket Science Degree needed, to figure that out.

You wouldn't understand until you've had to deal with a pet which developed an auto-immune response to a specific animal protein such as chicken. I have had to deal with it and trust me it's not ideal.

IBS --> IBD -> full on gastrointestinal cancer.

I've dealt with sensitive dogs for many decades. It's non-stop trying to find the right foods. Then the ingredients suddenly change.
I've donated so many bags of high-priced dog foods to Shelters nearby. It's your job to figure out why & what's causing problems with your little buddy. It's also your job to realize that ingredients like carrots are NOT coming from the same source.

You probably think that budget-priced Apple Juice you just drank came from this side of our big waters too.
You can work inside the industry and still not have a clue.
I'm done with this. Keep feeding the garbage to your diogs - then wonder four years later why his eyes water - why he drools - why he's developing bumps on his back.
No need to even mention body-scratching, biting of paws, hair falling out......etc.
I'm done here. Some cannot be educated and they live or work, right inside the problem.

Last edited:
So in layman's terms,who actually makes the best pet food? Is grain free honestly good for our four legged children,or is that a marketing fad? I've tried the uber expensive "natural" brands and my cat hates them. Purina One from the grocery store is her favorite. I give her dry in the morning for her breakfast and canned at night for her dinner,and she literally inhales it,she loves it!!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
So in layman's terms,who actually makes the best pet food? Is grain free honestly good for our four legged children,or is that a marketing fad? I've tried the uber expensive "natural" brands and my cat hates them. Purina One from the grocery store is her favorite. I give her dry in the morning for her breakfast and canned at night for her dinner,and she literally inhales it,she loves it!!

My cajun co worker (he was born and raised in Louisiana) gives his black lab/border collie homemade dog food his wife and him make. No issues in over 8 years now

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

My cajun co worker (he was born and raised in Louisiana) gives his black lab/border collie homemade dog food his wife and him make. No issues in over 8 years now

I always wondered how healthy table food is for our pets. My cat goes crazy over fish and chicken!! Every time we have fish,we can't keep her out of it haha it's gotten to the point to where we have to make her own special plate of fish :p

Exactly and pointless for me to comment further (yeah, I know) :eek:)

If you believe mankind and the entire animal kingdom would have a healthy life eating one food from one manufacturer for your entire life, well, then ... good luck to you and I hope it works out.

Clear you don't read labels. Why would you think every food from a manufacturer is identical sans the protein?

Nobody is talking about the single type of food? Who said same time of food? A variety of carrots doesn't keep you healthier. A carrot is just a carrot. It doesn't matter from whom you buy it from.

Dogs and Cats have fairly simple nutritional needs. It's not rocket science but a matter of cost.

I have no idea what you are talking about, no disrespect intended, we clearly have a communications gap between each other and it seems you with others.
If you go back and read all my posts my thoughts are sound and clear.

This is what you posted "Disagree here. IMO it's not the brand but the composition and protein source. For example take Nature's Variety, Orijen (sp?), etc. These brands offer a variety of protein sources and proteins are the primary ingredient. You can buy canned, dry, raw, limited ingredient in fish, chicken, rabbit, deer, beef, lamb, etc etc. What your suggesting is akin to saying don't only buy chicken from Publix because its different from the chicken sold at Kroger."

You say "its not the brand" and make it sound like brands are the same like Kroger chicken and Publix Chicken = Your words, so if that is not what you mean, then go back and read my words.

Again, no disrespect, my posts are clear on my position and I can clearly see others agree with me. So unsure on your comments and what you mean.

Your opinion was that frequently changing brands was some how beneficial and I opined that it's not necessarily the brand but the ingredients. Some brands use quality/varied ingredients across almost all product lines some brands do not. You and Seven for some reason are associating brand as being synonymous with food. It's why I mentioned Nature's Variety and Orijen(sp?) because these brands offer a wide range of proteins with varied ingredients. Changing brands all the time doesn't do an animal any good if your dog/cat keeps getting chicken.

For example almost all brands of canned pet food contain xanthan gum guar gum or carrageenan. I avoid these like the plague.

Last edited:
hahahaha... on the species appropriate mumbo-jumbo.
How would you like to eat one single type of food (day in and day out) for a lifetime?
A variety of food will keep your dog healthier, just like a variety keeps us healthier.
No Rocket Science Degree needed, to figure that out.

You wouldn't understand until you've had to deal with a pet which developed an auto-immune response to a specific animal protein such as chicken. I have had to deal with it and trust me it's not ideal.

IBS --> IBD -> full on gastrointestinal cancer.

I've dealt with sensitive dogs for many decades. It's non-stop trying to find the right foods. Then the ingredients suddenly change.
I've donated so many bags of high-priced dog foods to Shelters nearby. It's your job to figure out why & what's causing problems with your little buddy. It's also your job to realize that ingredients like carrots are NOT coming from the same source.

You probably think that budget-priced Apple Juice you just drank came from this side of our big waters too.
You can work inside the industry and still not have a clue.
I'm done with this. Keep feeding the garbage to your diogs - then wonder four years later why his eyes water - why he drools - why he's developing bumps on his back.
No need to even mention body-scratching, biting of paws, hair falling out......etc.
I'm done here. Some cannot be educated and they live or work, right inside the problem.

Such a typical response of people on this board. You disparage my species appropriate comment as "mumbo-jumbo" and then you reply to my post about having to deal with an animal suffering from a protein allergy as something you've had to deal with yourself which itself lends support to my species appropriate comment. Cats for example can develop a skin allergy to fish. Cats don't eat fish in the wild. One reason why dog/cats develop an auto-immune response to a protein is due to being frequently fed said protein. It doesn't matter what brand of food. Chicken is the most common allergy prone protein because it's so cheap and therefore typically found in most commercial dog/cat food. Then there are products which contain one of the following binders: xanthan gum guar gum, carrageenan. These binders are found in cheap and expensive canned dog/cat food. Some people believe that these ingredients can exacerbate the auto-immune response in dogs/cats and cause other issues. I avoid them.

What is ironic is that you have the audacity to assume that I feed my pets garbage food which is hilarious because I never claimed or suggested that cheap food was in some way better than expensive food.

Last edited:
Ok, here you go, as ONE reason to rotate dog/cat food keeping in mind simple nutrition is another reason to never feed the same brand everyday.

What if you found out the dog food you were feeding your dog had 3000 parts of arsenic or 8000 parts of arsenic in it, instead of 30 parts?
Wouldnt you feel like you were doing right by your dog if you didnt give it the same exact food everyday of its life? By rotating foods you are greatly extending the odds of not feeding it something dangerous its whole life.
Source - click

There is a WHOLE HUGE list of different things in pet foods and why its not like buying a chicken in publix vs a chicken in kroger.
Source - Click

[Linked Image]

Whoa. they stated the obvious that that grain free has higher levels of heavy metals. Who would've thought that grain free would have high levels. Could it be that it's because these foods are primarily comprised of protein unlike the products which contain a lot of grains and other fillers.

Originally Posted by Pablo
I recognize all those brands. My dog is over 15 years old and in decent health, with one exception. He is allergic to sweet potato, and has been for a long time (took awhile to figure it out) Which may sound like "whatever" to most people - but look at the ingredients of most all dog foods, low and high cost, fancy and WM. Pretty much all have sweet potato the last few years. Worse, a type of food may now suddenly contain sweet potato and it will not be listed on the label until the company changes the label after the bags/can labels are used up! I have pretty much gotten to know them all. Sweet potato makes him heave within 20-30 minutes of eating.

This of course makes it tough to switch around his food. Right now it's Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Boost Chicken mixed with Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Duck and Potato wet. (he is fine with regular potato) . He loves the stuff and his ticker is good. We mix some broth in, some cooked pumpkin, and some yogurt from time to time. Also a couple times a week some good oil, a tablespoon or so of EVOO or grapeseed oil.

I am not so worried about such a list, it's not statistical - it doesn't have a lot of meaning. I mean, for example maybe lots of people switch to these foods because their dogs are fat or have other heart issues.......the dogs may have died sooner, regardless of food choice.

As an aside, a long time ago I bought a bag of Taste of The Wild. Right in the middle of the sack is a softball size clump of moldy nasty rotting dog food. Not good.

Nature's Variety is a good product. They have a limited ingredient line which IIRC is essentially a protein with tapioca as a filler + vitamin/minerals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back