Check Engine - P0101

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Mazda6, 137k. A few months ago I got a CEL on startup.

P0101 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance.

I bought and installed a new air filter. I also bought MAF cleaner, removed the MAF, cleaned it, and the CEL cleared. I haven't seen the CEL again since this morning when it came on when I started the vehicle after sitting overnight. The code came back as a P0101 again (the scanner shows this same code listed twice - does that mean anything?).

I took out the MAF and sprayed it again with MAF cleaner and re-installed but the CEL is still on.

I do not notice any significant performance issues. Both times I got the CEL is when I started the car in the morning after the car sat overnight.

My next step is to remove and clean the throttle body. I have a new throttle body gasket on the way in case I find the old one cracked. My plan is to remove, clean with throttle body cleaner, replace gasket and reinstall. Anything else I should be looking at? Should I consider replacing the MAF sensor? I'd like to avoid unless necessary since they are pricey. Thanks.

Last edited:
Might be a bad electrical connection to the MAF or maybe just a bad MAF. If you know somebody else who has one of those Mazda's, see if you can borrow their MAF to test.

You need to look at the live data parameters on the scanner to condemn if it is a bad MAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back