Check 2015 Kia Transmission Level with Engine on or off?

I have a new-to-me 2015 Kia Sedona and found some service records in the glove box. The invoice for the selling dealer's "pre-sale inspection" had the following entry: "Transmission valve body cover leaking. Replace with new cover + gasket and refill with ATF+4."

The dealer is not a Kia dealer, so I'm worried they confused ATF+4 (Chrysler) with Kia SP-IV, which probably isn't the end of the world, but I went ahead and did a pan drain and fill anyways. I used Youtube videos as a reference along with a couple internet forum threads I dug up.. Some folks say to check the fluid (through the inspection plug) with the engine off, the Youtube video guy shows him doing it with the engine off. I'm not sure which method to use, but I've never checked auto trans fluid on a car with the engine off, always running.

I measured the fluid I took out and replaced with same amount, but there's no guarantee the fluid level is correct as it's been serviced by a non-Kia dealer. Once I refilled I get the slow stream I'm looking for (almost dribble) with the engine on, but I get a steady stream (which indicates too much fluid) with the engine off. Can anyone shed some light on this-- should I be checking with engine on or off? I should note that I'm checking with the trans fluid at 140 degrees which is per the instructions.

Owners manual is useless as it simply states the transmission is sealed and needs no service. Heading on a cross country trip tomorrow and want to get this right! Thanks for any help.

Okay I found something more authoritative-- a document from Kia describing the process:

http://www.ksmanual.com/fluid_service_adjustment_procedure-578.html

Seems to me that you do the check procedure with the engine idling. I see no purpose of doing the gear change from P to D several times if you're just going to shut the engine down. Plus Kia doesn't say to shut the engine off, so I went with checking oil with engine running.

If anyone knows any different, please let me know. If engine running is the correct way, there's a whole bunch of people watching Youtube videos setting their level wrong. I could see it being off quite a bit.

AFAIK you check level with engine running on Kias, there was 200ml difference in my Sportage between when engine ran and stopped. Level was lover with engine on.

On all the automatic transmission that I owned (Ford, Hyundai, Kia, Toyota), the owner manual states to check the level with engine running, preferably warmed engine.
The switching in all the gears, prior to check, insures that all the internal passages in the valve body are filled with oil.
Running engine means that the transmission pump "sucks in" some of the fluid from the pan. That's why is to be checked in that condition, the normal use condition.

Indeed the newer cars (2012+) tend to eliminate the dipstick, filling that hole with a plastic plug. I don't own anything newer than 2011.

Last edited:
ATF+4 is not an SP4 equivalent.

If you require SP4, then you should consider 3-4 drain/refills with OE/equivalent fluid with a 10 minute drive between drain/refills. Or, perform a 12 quart cooler line flush.

Back