Cheapest Oil That's Decent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Formula shell seems to be available just about everywhere you go and it's always cheap.

Except at Walgreens, where it's a buck more a quart than any other place in town.
smirk2.gif

My folks had a 1994 Tempo 4-cylinder that they drove 8 years and 110k miles. Never gave them much trouble.

Ford gave up on that car just as they got it right. Good car!

If you want to try and save gas, I think you can even use 5W-20 in that engine (Ford back-spec'd it).

Since Wal-Mart no longer carries it, Trop-Artic has been on sale at several chain stores in the midwest for $1.79 a quart. I've been stocking up on it, since I feel motor oil will again be on the rise.

Many years ago I ran O'Riellys brand oil exclusively in 2 cars. I did the 3k OCI and had no problems.
I still use O'Reillys SAE 30 for my lawn mower.

That said, I highly recommend Mobil 5000 and Quaker State @ Walmart for $10 and $10.50 respectively for a 5qt jug.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: river_rat
Me and my two brother inherited my mom's '94 Ford Tempo 4 cylinder. It only has 22,000 miles on it, but the oil has been sitting in there over the winter. I might buy it from the Estate or sell it, but I want to change the oil and filter for not too much money right now. Just want to keep it fit to run and not damage the motor and I'm not usually a cheapskate on oil and filters, but I don't have much $$ to spare for maintenance on another car this month.
Think O'Reilly's 5W-30 is OK to use? It's only like, $1.48 a quart.
Thanks.
Rob

I had one of these cars, the same year. You can't kill these engines so use the cheapest SM rated dino oil you can find and a half decent filter and you will drive the thing forever!
thumbsup2.gif

(My aunt had one too and she put over 200K Miles on it before it rusted out and the engine was still running)

Just use the cheapest SM rated dino oil with cheap filter. Maybe you could ask your brothers to split the cost with you if you're tight on money, it would work out to not more then 4 bucks a brother. If that's too much you can always use used synthetic oil that has seen a short oci, you could probably get that for free. Offer free labour to someone with a upscale car that uses synthetic oil in exchange for the used synthetic oil. Just make sure it hasn't been "used up" go for one that has ran less then 5000 miles or less, it still should have alot of life left in it. The only cost then should be the filter, which shouldn't be more then 3 bucks total, would work out to buck a brother if you guys split the cost.

Well, guys, I decided since I'm executor, and I'm trying to get it ready for sale, I could just write a check on the estate's account instead of paying cash and getting reimbursed. So that's what I did. I went to wally world to drain my waste oil jug anyway. I was gonna get Motorcraft but they were out of 5W-30 which is what the manual said to use. I went with QS. I figure that's pretty good stuff for 10.50 a 5 qt jug. $1 more than ST but it's a name brand and I like the pretty green bottle-ha.
I'm not a fan of Fram filters (I know, I know, people use them all the time with no problems) so I got a Carquest. I think that's a cheaper Wix built deal. Only 3.70.
I'm glad it's done. I don't want to sell a car with old, old oil it it. That wouldn't be right. Plus it's always been maintained before and I think a buyer would like to see an up-to-date service sticker on the windshield. I know I would.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
(My aunt had one too and she put over 200K Miles on it before it rusted out and the engine was still running)

I think this will make a good car for somebody. Mom always kept it up.

If i was in your situation, I would just go down the road and buy the O reilly's oil. By the time you drive around town searching for cheaper price, the cost savings will be negated by the wasted gas and time you spent shopping around

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Tempos are kinda cool...I see a few floating around here still...

YA. my neighbor has one too.
So far I got 2 people wanting to buy it.

I don't want to sell a car with old, old oil it it. That wouldn't be right. Plus it's always been maintained before and I think a buyer would like to see an up-to-date service sticker on the windshield. I know I would.

Thank you for caring about the engine and the new owner. Most people in your situation would not have done a thing.

Don't worry a bit about using "cheap" oil and filter. The engine will be just as well protected as if you used $10 a quart oil.

Sorry about your loss...

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I don't want to sell a car with old, old oil it it. That wouldn't be right. Plus it's always been maintained before and I think a buyer would like to see an up-to-date service sticker on the windshield. I know I would.

Thank you for caring about the engine and the new owner.

+1 to Bill's comment!
thumbsup2.gif

river_rat, you need to have lots of kids so I have lots of good used cars to buy.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Thank you for caring about the engine and the new owner.

+1 to Bill's comment!
thumbsup2.gif

river_rat, you need to have lots of kids so I have lots of good used cars to buy.
LOL.gif

X2...Sorry about your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back