Cheapest 51R Battery?

They no longer honor the 3 years free replacement.
Thanks, I looked online and called my local Costco.
It has not been "free replacement" for some time....it was 100% refund within three years. Which was actually a pretty good deal, because you could buy another new battery and start with a fresh three year warranty. Though the new battery would likely cost more. Free replacment only continued the existing warranty which would be three years from the original purchase.

BUT, starting July 11, 2023, they now prorate the warranty on all sales from that date forward. I don't believe it is retroactive to batteries purchased prior to July 11, 2023.
I have been unable to find the schedule for how that is calculated, but would assume they will be required to post that...so probably coming soon.

Here is the new warranty statement which is rather vague:

Thanks, I looked online and called my local Costco.
It has not been "free replacement" for some time....it was 100% refund within three years. Which was actually a pretty good deal, because you could buy another new battery and start with a fresh three year warranty. Though the new battery would likely cost more. Free replacment only continued the existing warranty which would be three years from the original purchase.

The label on my old one from a few years ago said "Free Replacement."
The labels on the ones with full refund said "Limited Replacement."
The current ones with the pro rata warranty say "Limited Warranty."

They provide a clue, but not enough for people who don't read the actual warranty terms, and start class action suits like Coscto is facing. On its part, a better effort at clarity could have spared them from being taken to court. It's usually the lawyers who make out the best in class actions.

BUT, starting July 11, 2023, they now prorate the warranty on all sales from that date forward. I don't believe it is retroactive to batteries purchased prior to July 11, 2023.
I have been unable to find the schedule for how that is calculated, but would assume they will be required to post that...so probably coming soon.

Here is the new warranty statement which is rather vague:

I wouldn't expect to see this happen. I asked them at the counter about the depreciation schedule for the new warranty and the guy chuckled and said they have to make some inputs into the system and have it spit out a figure. He recalled off hand a return deducting $6 after one month, but without knowing which model, and original cost, not much to go on.

This mirrors the procedure I had with a Pep Boys Bosch a while ago, back when 5-6 year supplemental pro rata warranties were the norm. They had to consult the register to have it spit out a credit figure, which turned to laughable for a long-lived battery.

This lack of transparency, and schedules that are probably heavily biased in their favor are why I've never put much stock in pro rata warranties. They sound great as part of the sales pitch, but are worth little. Unfortunate to see them supplant replacement warranties, and made the primary warranty mechanism as Costco has done. Their low battery pricing might make it palatable, but I expect to see others try this tactic as well, and who wants to pay $200+ for a top-tier battery with a lame warranty?

This lack of transparency, and schedules that are probably heavily biased in their favor are why I've never put much stock in pro rata warranties.
My opinion as well. Consumer Reports years ago, stated the only part of a battery warranty worth considering is the "free replacement" portion, and to ignore the pro-rated portion, as it was essentially worthless. (only a couple decades ago, most batteries had a five or six year warranty, and only a one or two year free replacement portion of the warranty). Its only the past 15 years or so that most battery manufacturers and retailers dropped the pro rated warranties and just stated the free replacement period. So Costco has really taken a step backwards and against their "membership" by eliminating any free replacement and simply going with a pro rated warranty.

I will be curious if Costco will take a hit in sales in the next few years, and restores their previous warranty. For me, I will be shopping at Walmart or Batteries Plus in the future.

I will be curious if Costco will take a hit in sales in the next few years, and restores their previous warranty. For me, I will be shopping at Walmart or Batteries Plus in the future.

I doubt it. Like water heaters, batteries are often purchased with a sense of urgency, and little time or desire for consideration. With the pricing still low, people will still buy from Costco.

That class action over the "free" replacement vs. full-credit suggests most people don't look too closely at the warranty terms anyway, and if the 36 months go by without any issue, it's nothing they'll ever take notice of at all.

Nowhere near the scrutiny seen here.

My WM's are stocked with the Korean batteries. Still trying to get a read on them.

Local Interstate distributor sells blems for ~$70 out the door with a 90-day warranty. Interesting proposition for a vehicle that isn't the sole means of transportation.

Back