Cheap$ Tires, Falken, Primewell, Milestar, Which ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are good cheap coopers from treaddepot. Made in the USA and not much more expensive than the knockoff tires.

I was looking at the Chinese tires "Champiro" and "Fuzion". I ended up settling on spending a few bucks more on Cooper Lifeliner or CS4 depending on pricing.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
I have used the primewells before , its popular low end for firestone stores.

Good threadlife , a bit noisy, but no better or wost than Goodyear assurance bands.

I'd use em if there is a big discount between it installed and other options.Falken is better brand over all tho.

I'd save up and buy better tires.

Ummm no. Primewell and Goodyear are not comparable, different market positioning. If you really believe that primewell tires are as good as Goodyear "Assurance" tires, then Im sorry but you might not be the best judge when it comes to tires. Also Ive had Falken 912s before and they sucked! No wet or snow traction, minimal dry traction and wore down to 5/32nds in 26000 miles, no thanks.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Another option..."pull-off" tires from a used tire dealer...tires that were upgraded early on that have 80-90% tread left for 50% the retail new price...just get high quality tires with no patch or plug...

A great idea, but around here used tires are no longer a bargain as the prices of good new tires continue to rise and drag the used market up with them...

A 90% good used tire should go for about the same price as the new cheapies though.
Our local guy was doing pretty much any brand any type in 14" mounted and balanced for $45 each.
I've had good wear with running studdable winter tires year round, and if I was a pizza guy I think it would pay to run winter tires, just for the extra confidence and speed you can carry safely in the snow. Quicker and more deliveries equals more tips!

Dig around for some 14 inch rims that will fit. then you can run 175/70/14, 185/65/14, or 195/60/14. The 195s are real popular on Jettas.

Then dig around craigslist for some used ones. Probably find some on saturn rims, actually.

The used tire market is inflated, but luckily lots of 1990s cars riding on 14 and 15 inch rims are getting junked now and not too many newer cars take them. Junkyards should have some.

Ive had good luck with Falken performance tires(z-rated 50 Ziex) on my old Suzuki Aerio SX4, Never tried a mileage touring tire from them.

If it has to be one of those three, I'd easily take the Falken over the other two--at least it's a name brand!

However, my top pick for that car's tire size would be the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum.

Other good options are the General Altimax RT43 and the Dunlop Signature II.

Scanoe, whatever you pick, negotiate hard on the price. If the tires are available and cheap by mail order, do a print out including freight and ask the tire store to match that price. Or, just look him in the eye and ask, "How low can you cut the price?" You will find a savings on the tires or on the other charges--balance, disposal, etc. Of course, always buy new valve stems, but if they're asking more than $2 each, get that price down, too.

Originally Posted By: Scanoe

3. Milestar M665 Touring SE 39$ each at Sears
Sears/Milestar

I clicked on this link with interest. The website reads, "Click "Calculate Sub-Total" button for complete pricing details."

However, there is no such button!!!

Also it goes on and on about Nankang tires. Maybe Nankang makes Milestar. Maybe this is a horrible cut and paste.

They seem to have fixed stuff from my previous rant, but not everything.

Edit, they appear to be out of stock. One has to search by size then attempt to add to cart to find this out. Nothing on the tire's actual "Home page".

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
If it has to be one of those three, I'd easily take the Falken over the other two--at least it's a name brand!

However, my top pick for that car's tire size would be the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum.

+1. I ran Falkens once. Wore like iron, but the tread was hard and had inferior grip to other long wearing tires. Still as a low cost option, they were pretty good.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
There are good cheap coopers from treaddepot. Made in the USA and not much more expensive than the knockoff tires.

I was looking at the Chinese tires "Champiro" and "Fuzion". I ended up settling on spending a few bucks more on Cooper Lifeliner or CS4 depending on pricing.

I put a set of Fuzions on an 03 Taurus I bought in early 2009. My mom has the car now (since late 2009) with the same set of tires. I keep telling her she needs to save up for new tires.

She has barely put miles but they have lasted. One on rear has gotten a pole and she had a lousy plug job done on it so it keeps going flat but.. it got driven totally flat at highway speeds at least a couple times. She tended to not check it, just drive it.. until I told her the tire may come off the rim and cause her to have a wreck if she keeps that up. Now she keeps an eye on it and is saving up for tires... but also for engine repair since it's leaking coolant really bad.

At least she has the sense to keep antifreeze topped off and doesn't drive it more than a couple miles from home... but I had to tell her to use 50/50 antifreeze.. not water. *sigh*

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

+1. I ran Falkens once. Wore like iron, but the tread was hard and had inferior grip to other long wearing tires. Still as a low cost option, they were pretty good.

I just put falken sincera sn 211 on the olds. I may only have this car another year but i did not want to buy really cheap tires. These are 80,000 mile warranted and all 4 were $325. I've had them a month and so far at 34 psi they ride fine on a 22year old car.

Another option is to check craigslist for saturns being parted out. All the S series wheels interchange whether they are 14 steelies or 15 alloys they will bolt right on. If you find a saturn with 15 inch wheels and good tires on them they can be had for 30-50 bucks each.

I drove an Accord on Primewells recently and was pretty impressed. No louder than the Yokohamas they replaced, seemed to work fine. However, they are not that great in snow.

@spasm, I think the SL2's have the 15-inch wheels standard :p

Right! so he can use either, if he sees 14's with wheel covers with good tires he can use those, or a set of 15 inch. Its the same frame, same axles, same bolt pattern, same brakes on sl1, sl2. only the engine is different and slight difference in transmissions- even they can be swapped.

You're in MN. Go to Fleet Farm, and buy the Road Runner tire in your size (Coopers). Just bought a pair in 205/65/15 yesterday for 64.00/tire. They are T rated 60k tires...

Much better than what you listed....

Or, if you are in the Metro, scour Craigslist. There is a ton of good tires out there right now.

I have a 2000 Saturn SL2, I'm in need of Tires really badly but am strapped for cash at the moment.

I deliver Pizza for a Living and live in the Upper Midwest, USA. Therefore I need a Durable All 4 Season Tire.

I've found 3 relatively inexpensive Tires I'm interested in. ($=US Dollars)

1. Falken Sincera SN-828 43$ each at Discount Tire
Discount Tire/Falken

2.Primewell PS 830/850 43$ each at Tires-Plus
Tires-Plus/Primewell

3. Milestar M665 Touring SE 39$ each at Sears
Sears/Milestar

Any of you had experience with any of those 3 Tires ?
Any of you had Tires experience with any of those 3 Company's ?

My Main concern is Tread Ware, I drive a lot of Miles so need a Durable Tire.

Any and All Opinions appreciated.

I decided to go with the Milestar M665's at Sears.

By the time I decided to buy, Sears had put a 5% sale on Tires so I got the M665's at 37$ each. (148$ for 4). 4 x Balance $62, 4 x Road Hazard $25 ($6ish each), 4 x Chrome Valve Stems $16, Tire Disposal $10 and a 6-month 4-wheel alignment service for $70 (on sale at the time from $85).

I was out-the-door, with an alignment, at around $340 for 4 new ties..

After a week and a half so far of driving with the new Milestars I'm very impressed. They are some of the smoothest and quietest tires I've ever owned. Dry pavement handling is excellent, wet is very good as well. As far as Snow and Ice I'm not sure cause we haven't had any new snow yet since the tires were installed.

If these Milestars get anywhere near the 40k Tread Life they are advertised at I would call these M665's a Great Value Tire.

So far very impressed with these Milestars and at around $40 each I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to others.

I think its a false economy (and why did you buy $6 road hazard on $37 tires?).

Without alignment you spent $270. If you get 40k that's 0.675c a mile.

If you spent double on the tires to get something better from a major brand and got a 70000 mile tire, you would have spent $418 but 0.6c a mile.

And right now there are great rebates in premium tires. You really would not have spent much more, would have way better tires and per mile you would have actually spent less.

I decided to go with the Milestar M665's at Sears.

By the time I decided to buy, Sears had put a 5% sale on Tires so I got the M665's at 37$ each. (148$ for 4). 4 x Balance $62, 4 x Road Hazard $25 ($6ish each), 4 x Chrome Valve Stems $16, Tire Disposal $10 and a 6-month 4-wheel alignment service for $70 (on sale at the time from $85).

I was out-the-door, with an alignment, at around $340 for 4 new ties..

After a week and a half so far of driving with the new Milestars I'm very impressed. They are some of the smoothest and quietest tires I've ever owned. Dry pavement handling is excellent, wet is very good as well. As far as Snow and Ice I'm not sure cause we haven't had any new snow yet since the tires were installed.

If these Milestars get anywhere near the 40k Tread Life they are advertised at I would call these M665's a Great Value Tire.

So far very impressed with these Milestars and at around $40 each I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to others.

I put Milestar tires on my Sister's Impala to save some money. She needed tires then and didn't have a lot of money to buy top of the line. I think it was the exact same ones you have. I was going to throw Mastercraft tires on but ended up with the Milestar tires instead. I am actually glad it worked out that way honestiy.

They have been excellent tires so far. Far better than some of the name brand ones I have used in the past and a big step up over the OE GY's. They are really good in the snow too. So far with about 11-12K on them they have barely worn. If wear continues at this rate they will see well over the 40K rating. Probably 50-60K.

I wouldn't use them on a luxury or performance vehicle but the more I drive my Sister's car with them and see how they are wearing and perform I like them more.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
I think its a false economy (and why did you buy $6 road hazard on $37 tires?).

Without alignment you spent $270. If you get 40k that's 0.675c a mile.

If you spent double on the tires to get something better from a major brand and got a 70000 mile tire, you would have spent $418 but 0.6c a mile.

And right now there are great rebates in premium tires. You really would not have spent much more, would have way better tires and per mile you would have actually spent less.

I am just asking out of curiosity and NOT to start anything with you. Have you ever used Milestar tires? I used to be a lot like you re: cheap tire brands. If you haven't run any Milestar tires though you may want to hold off on your opinion of them and if they are any good or worth the money.

The ones I put on my Sister's car were used because she had to have tires and didn't have the money for BFG or Michelin tires like I would normally use on a car. I have to tell you they have really impressed me so far. IF the OP gets similar results from his that I have seen on my Sister's Impala then he is getting a lot of value for a small $$$ investment.

Oh and not being a tool but double $270 is not $418. It is $540. I must have missed something in your point on how you got $418 for premium tires? And if he doubles the cost to $540 but only gets 70K it is actually more expensive not less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back