Cheap$ Tires, Falken, Primewell, Milestar, Which ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch $148 for the tires and OTD at $340! That's quite a racket they got going there. I basically exclusively buy online and find a shop to install for a fair price (usually $80 total) and future rotations are done myself when I do an OCI.
Sears seemed to mess up the alignment on my Civic too - had to go back once or twice immediately after driving the car.

Comparison shop more next time. And if you can wait for those DTD deals that can't be beat. Name brand, good model tires for dirt cheap sometimes.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: TrevorS
I think its a false economy (and why did you buy $6 road hazard on $37 tires?).

Without alignment you spent $270. If you get 40k that's 0.675c a mile.

If you spent double on the tires to get something better from a major brand and got a 70000 mile tire, you would have spent $418 but 0.6c a mile.

And right now there are great rebates in premium tires. You really would not have spent much more, would have way better tires and per mile you would have actually spent less.

I am just asking out of curiosity and NOT to start anything with you. Have you ever used Milestar tires? I used to be a lot like you re: cheap tire brands. If you haven't run any Milestar tires though you may want to hold off on your opinion of them and if they are any good or worth the money.

The ones I put on my Sister's car were used because she had to have tires and didn't have the money for BFG or Michelin tires like I would normally use on a car. I have to tell you they have really impressed me so far. IF the OP gets similar results from his that I have seen on my Sister's Impala then he is getting a lot of value for a small $$$ investment.

Oh and not being a tool but double $270 is not $418. It is $540. I must have missed something in your point on how you got $418 for premium tires? And if he doubles the cost to $540 but only gets 70K it is actually more expensive not less.

I think he was quoting double just on the tires alone, not double the total cost.

Correct, spending double on tires does not double your cost. The install etc is a fixed charge. That's why buying low cost tires with low mileage warranty can cost you the same per mile as better tires:

2 sets of 40000 mile tires = 2 install costs
1 set of 80000 mile tires = 1 install costs

I've never tried Milestar tires. So yes I understand they could be good.

But good is subjective. Tires are always improving and almost always people like new tires because they've replaced worn out tires.

I go by real testing which you can find on tirerack. There can be real performance differences between the best tires and good cheap tires. They may make the difference in an emergency. Outside that, the top tires are quieter, give better steering feedback, ride even better.

The point was that cost wise it can be a false economy. The OP got a great price on those tires but because they were 40000 mile tires he could spend double on 80000 mile tires and have spent the same per mile.

In his case, money was tight and who knows if his car will last more than 40000 miles, and by the looks of things he got a great price on the tires (but made a mistake with the extras). But I offered up the info as general advice.

Here is my own example. In my size, his tire is $67. I spent $78 on the top grand touring tire as per tireracks customer survey which also came 3rd in their testing. It has a 70000 mile unlimited time treadwear warranty. My total cost after install will be about $400. If I had gone into Sears I would have been looking at over $600 for the same tires. $400 in Sears would have gotten me budget tires only. Those budget tires would last less and perform worse.

Here is my own example. In my size, his tire is $67. I spent $78 on the top grand touring tire as per tireracks customer survey which also came 3rd in their testing. It has a 70000 mile unlimited time treadwear warranty. My total cost after install will be about $400. If I had gone into Sears I would have been looking at over $600 for the same tires. $400 in Sears would have gotten me budget tires only.

We will have to take your word, but given local installation costs, I find this hard to believe.

And Im not so sure a 3rd place (out of four) placing at TR is that great.

IME recently Ive always had a match locally or superior pricing from a local shop (costco included) than TR when one has to add shipping and installation.

Shipping gives near parity on the tire cost, IME, versus TR.

I have, and will buy from TR from time to time because I DO want to support their testing and website, since otherwise it would all be very uninformative...

DTD on eBay were doing $100 off $400+ purchases. Some tires were also eligible for rebates. There was a thread about it. I actually managed to beat that price by a small margin. I have the tires in my garage. Once the rebate comes in, they will have cost me $312. Local install costs are $80-$100.

3rd out of 4 is 3rd in the category when you pull up other 4 way tests and deduct what it means overall. Tire racks road test for those 4 had all tires equal. The track testing was part of the differentiation.

You can check everything yourself - the DTD EBay thread to see what prices people were getting with the $100 off, manufacturer rebates, free shipping and no tax and do the survey and test results analysis that I did on tirerack to be reasonably sure its one of the top tires.

Oh and less valid to some, the top three tires on tirerack including what I picked up are also the top three on consumer reports and all very close there as well.

Correct, spending double on tires does not double your cost. The install etc is a fixed charge. That's why buying low cost tires with low mileage warranty can cost you the same per mile as better tires:

2 sets of 40000 mile tires = 2 install costs
1 set of 80000 mile tires = 1 install costs

AH BUT the place I got my Sister's Milestar tires does not charge for M&B.

I've never tried Milestar tires. So yes I understand they could be good.

But good is subjective. Tires are always improving and almost always people like new tires because they've replaced worn out tires.

I go by real testing which you can find on tirerack. There can be real performance differences between the best tires and good cheap tires. They may make the difference in an emergency. Outside that, the top tires are quieter, give better steering feedback, ride even better.

The point was that cost wise it can be a false economy. The OP got a great price on those tires but because they were 40000 mile tires he could spend double on 80000 mile tires and have spent the same per mile.

In his case, money was tight and who knows if his car will last more than 40000 miles, and by the looks of things he got a great price on the tires (but made a mistake with the extras). But I offered up the info as general advice.

Here is my own example. In my size, his tire is $67. I spent $78 on the top grand touring tire as per tireracks customer survey which also came 3rd in their testing. It has a 70000 mile unlimited time treadwear warranty. My total cost after install will be about $400. If I had gone into Sears I would have been looking at over $600 for the same tires. $400 in Sears would have gotten me budget tires only. Those budget tires would last less and perform worse.

The Milestar tires have been on my Sister's Impala now for 3+ years and well over 10K. Enough time for any newness placebo to wear off. Have driven on them in some BAD storms and they have done very well. Quiet, smooth, wearing well, etc... Just like the more expensive tires I would normally have bought would have done.

Last edited:
Hello again,

By the way I had forgot to mention the Review I had read on the Milestar M665 and Falken Sn-828's before I decided on a specific Tire.

Tire Reviews and more.com

Not quite as an informative site as Tire-Rack, but Tire-Rack had no Reviews on Milestars.

The Falken 828's had too much of a question mark about it's Tread Life to consider, so that left Primewells or Milestars. I couldn't find enough reviews on the Primewells, plus I've been buying Tools from Sears for over 30 years, so figuring that Good M665 Review along with a Company I've known for 30+ years would be the way to go.

And for all of you saying to not buy a Cheap$ Tire, In a way I do agree with you in that the Higher Initial Price usually comes with Longer Tread Life. But the problem is I really didn't have the Cash to spend, so it was either Cheap$ Tires or no Tires at All. 1 of my Old Tires was worn so bad Threads were beginning to show thru the Bald spots.

Also, I had figured out why my Old Tires had worn so fast is that my Saturn needed some major suspension repair and the Alignment was way out of whack. So be it low on cash, needing repairs AND tires, Cheap Tires became a Must. I had to replace the Lower Ball Joint/Control Arms on both front sides of the Car (Let me tell what a royal pain in the butt it was changing those on a Saturn that's been thru 13+ years of Car destroying Minnesota Salty Roads, but that's another story). Btw I changed both outer tie-rod ends as well.

So in short, Cheap$ Tires do have their needed place in society, it was either Cheap$ or none at all.

I do appreciate all your reviews, Thanks.

Quote:
a Company I've known for 30+ years would be the way to go.

Turns out I may have been correct about that.

Chain of Events:

A friend of mine put in a new Wheel Bearing, Lower Ball-joint/Control Arm and a new outer tie-rod end (Driver-Side) in this Saturn about 1 month ago. I knew then the Passenger side needed the same replacements, but I didn't want to spend the money or the time on the passenger side at that time.

While working on those driver side items is when we noticed how bald my front tires were. Tires were so bad I knew I needed new ones asap. That's basically when I showed up here looking for Tire Recommendations.

I then bought the Tires at Sears, installed on the 3rd of March.

Last night that same Friend did the Ball-joint/tie-rod replace on the passenger side. That threw the Front end into a major toe-in problem. So I brought the Saturn into Sears right at opening this morning to take advantage of my 6-month Alignment Warranty. Truth is I knew the addition of the new passenger side parts would void the warranty, but I figured I'd try to sneak it by (definitely wrong of me...)

Anyway, after the Alignment was done, the young sales girl asked If had done any recent work to the Front-End. I was caught lol, which is fine actually and I decided to tell the truth, I said yes we changed the ball-joint and tie-rod on the pass. side last night. She then said that voids the warranty so it looked like I would have to pay for the new alignment, 85$. But Her supervisor wanted to let the repair work slide. So I lucked out and didn't have to spend anything for the new Alignment, plus they did not void it.

So it looks like I got some nice Tires for Cheap and my Faith in Sears was not unfounded.

Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
Falken. It's a real tire brand...

+2

Have you considered Cooper? They are typically pretty cheap and they are a quality tire.

Just about every tire retailer in the UK will quote what you will pay to leave the tire depot with a new tire, balanced with a new valve and fitted to your car including taxes.
One national chain tried sneaking in an additional charge for nitrogen filling, but got such bad publicity they dropped the idea.
Typically a 205/55/16 tire will sell for about £60 for a mid range brand, but that is the whole price, no balancing, valve, or mounting charges added on.

Primewell, Boto and Achilles are popular budget tires over here, they are all rubbish, poor wet grip, short life and harsh riding being their main shortcomings.

Roger.

Originally Posted By: Scanoe
I decided to go with the Milestar M665's at Sears.

I was out-the-door, with an alignment, at around $340 for 4 new ties.

Not so sure about that deal. But thumbs-up to you that you got fresh rubber.

We just dropped a set of Conti PureContact Ecos on one of ours yesterday for about $75 more, after rebate and some added haggling at the local tire shop. Factory RH included for the first year. No alignment needed, though.

When they first came out, the Altimax HP could be had after all the deals and rebates for about $50. Now that was a deal.

A Little FYI about those Milestar M665's

I ended up getting the Milestar 665's on sale for about $32 each at Sears.

I got right about 50k Miles out of the Set of Four M665's. I was very bad at having the Tires Rotated, had rotations only about 3 times, could have possibly got more mileage if I would have rotated more. 50k is still not bad at all for a $32 Tire.

Was very pleased with the 665's, ran very quiet, good ride and cornering. Good wet weather performance and acceptable Minnesota Winter Performance At one point I was delivery pizza in 8+ inches of snow during a blizzard and did not get stuck, not bad for a quiet tire.

The Saturn of which they were on has now been junked due to it's terrible Oil Burning, very noticeable blue smoke out the tailpipe.

I now have a 1998 Buick LeSabre in place of the Saturn.

I put a new set of 4 Primewell PS850's Mud/Snow rated, $47 a piece from Tires Plus, on the LeSabre about 1 month ago.
So far am pleased with the 850's, very nice ride and excellent cornering
The 850's being Mud/Snow rated have an obvious aggressive looking Tread Design. I'm guessing that will come in handy this coming Minnesota Winter, 1 drawback though is these 850's are Very Loud, much, much Louder then the Milestar 665's were

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back