cheap magnets on oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put cheap round hf and tool magnets around entire perimeter of oil filter.Spent 6 bucks on magnets. Changed filter out early cut filter open and magnets were catching fine metal. That beats summitracing prices by a longshot.

Any magnet is great to use. I picked up a few FilterMags, in different strengths, at a local flea market/outdoor sale held by some gypsies in Coney Island.

The FilterMags were the real deal, authentic and the prices were unbelievable. The FilterMags were just too good to pass up....so I bought quite a few.

Who knows were they got their hands on the FilterMags to sell them at my negotiated price?

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Any magnet is great to use. I picked up a few FilterMags, in different strengths, at a local flea market/outdoor sale held by some gypsies in Coney Island.

The FilterMags were the real deal, authentic and the prices were unbelievable. The FilterMags were just too good to pass up....so I bought quite a few.

Who knows were they got their hands on the FilterMags to sell them at my negotiated price?

Id buy one at a good price.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Hard drive magnets are awesome.

I will try and find some hard drive mags. I wonder why I never put mags on filter before. After seeing what was collecting on mags you would be a a fool not to use one.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
If you want even cheaper, tear apart some old/dead hard drives. The magnets in them are KILLER.

I prefer the magnets from a Magnetron...But I don't put them on my oil filter
grin2.gif

Where do you recommend mounting a HD magnet onto a filter? The bottom of the canister, side or closer to where it seals with the gasket?

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Where do you recommend mounting a HD magnet onto a filter? The bottom of the canister, side or closer to where it seals with the gasket?

I stuck them on side by side all the way around filter in a line.

I agree with filtermags being awesome. Very strong and wrap around the filter can so its pull force is being effectivly used. My brother has got a real good magnet on his but he needs duct tape to keep it on. Not worth it. Filtermags all the way!

Originally Posted By: cp3
Has anyone had particle counts done with and without magnets? I am wondering if they are just catching stuff that would be caught in the media anyway.

Well, definitely they are catching stuff that would have been caught anyway. Still, hard drive magnets are free and the filter is that much cleaner I guess.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Has anyone had particle counts done with and without magnets? I am wondering if they are just catching stuff that would be caught in the media anyway.

Well, definitely they are catching stuff that would have been caught anyway. Still, hard drive magnets are free and the filter is that much cleaner I guess.

Right on the money-metal would have been caught by the filter anyway---if it's a big enough particle to see with your naked eye ---so what is being accomplishing with FilterMAgs?
R

I wish that I had more. I gave them out as Christmas presents last year. I'll keep an eye out and see if the gypsies return this year again.

Just wanted some clarification before I form an opinion:

1.you (by your own admission) purchased a product at such a significantly reduced price, it leaves no one guessing the product was obtained from a source other than retail
2. you purchased the significantly discounted product from Gypsies to give to friends neighbors and family as presents on Cheyrst's (I can't believe the word is censored so I have to mispell it) Birthday as a sign of peace, love, and celebration.
3. you are looking to repeat this process again this year?

Have I misconstrued anything?

Originally Posted By: steve20
I wish that I had more. I gave them out as Christmas presents last year. I'll keep an eye out and see if the gypsies return this year again.

Just wanted some clarification before I form an opinion:

1.you (by your own admission) purchased a product at such a significantly reduced price, it leaves no one guessing the product was obtained from a source other than retail
2. you purchased the significantly discounted product from Gypsies to give to friends neighbors and family as presents on Cheyrst's (I can't believe the word is censored so I have to mispell it) Birthday as a sign of peace, love, and celebration.
3. you are looking to repeat this process again this year?

Have I misconstrued anything?

looks like you formed it already.

Hey mongo - If you can get your hands on any more of these, I'd be interested in buying a few from you. They'll make great stocking stuffers!

I will add you to my list Bamboooo!

Peace, Love and honor....brother!

Originally Posted By: Bamboooo
Hey mongo - If you can get your hands on any more of these, I'd be interested in buying a few from you. They'll make great stocking stuffers!

cp3, What you are thinking is very true.

However, how do we know when/if an oil filter goes into by-pass mode? We don't!

When a filter is in by-pass there is nothing to catch any hard pieces, fragments or grains of Iron or Steel that might happen to be pumped into the filter. The hard metals that can cause scoring and possible damage are the metals I'm concerned about most. Metals like aluminum, lead and copper are all soft metals...so the concern is not imperative, if the filter is in by-pass and these metals are present. Nothing is truly "fail-safe" at stopping all hard metals from entering the engine if the filter is in by-pass.

Who knows for sure if all, or some, oil filters catch 100% of the iron and steel from engine wear, 100% of the time???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back