Cheap atf fluid often vs expensive fluid yearly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering how quick and easy it is to change the atf fluid on my car, I am contemplating doing it more often. But the fluid itself is quite expensive.

Which would be better for my car: changing the fluid often (twice a year or even more often) using cheap fluid I can find at Walmart, or changing it less often (once a year) using expensive fluid?

My car is a 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD with the 5 speed auto. Currently I change it once a year using Honda DW1. I just do a drain/refill, no 3x3 flush.

Define "cheap fluid at Walmart". I was unaware that Wally sold a DW1-compatible fluid.

With something as expensive and complex an an automatic transmission, it's cheap insurance to use the manufacturer's fluid, or at least one that is approved as compatible.

Note: not knocking Walmart ATF. I use their Mercon V in my cars, but Wally's version is Ford-approved.

To answer the OP's question, doing it once a year puts you WAY ahead of 98% of car owners. Unless you drive a bazillion miles a year, you're golden.

I was thinking of Valvoline Maxlife which is about half the cost of what Honda charges for DW1, so I could double the frequency of my ATF changes at no additional cost to myself.

I drive through a lot of snow in the winter and find myself spinning my wheels a lot which I assume puts extra stress on my trans compared to someone who lives in florida.

Spinning the wheels in snow doesn't hurt the transmission at all, unless you're flooring it, or something equally irresponsible. Just keep doing what you're doing. Changing the fluid even ONCE in the car's life still puts you ahead of most people.

Heat is what kills most transmissions, so people in Florida are actually harder on it that you are.

Welcome to Bitog... I would use the Honda DW-1 those Honda transmissions don't need an excuse to need a rebuild .If you are paying retail for the oil maybe online would be best.

Less than $18/gallon for Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic ATF at Walmart.
Its in two of my main vehicles now. The Nissan really likes it and was recommended by Xterra forum. If you do a change every 30-50k miles I see no problems ever with ATF break down.

Last edited:
So you don't think there is any advantage to changing the fluid more than once a year? I was just thinking that since I only do a drain/refill rather than the 3x3 flush, it was advantageous to change the fluid more often since some old fluid remains when I change it. I only drive about 10,000 kms a year. The car was 3 years old when I bought it and I don't know what the previous owner did.

Wait till the AZ December sale and stock up. My stash of M1 Syn ATF costs $2-3/quart. Castrol Transmax Full Syn MV costs $2

Don't know what the manufacture recommends for change interval? Your probably right on if due at 60,000 miles if its like my Nissan for the first change if I remember correct.

You can go by the MM as to when to change the ATF. I'd use Maxlife for a single drain-and-fill when the MM says to do it.

AFAIK, Canadian DW1 is full synthetic, while our US DW1 is a syn blend.

Unless you are towing at maximum capacity or doing taxi/delivery/messenger service, I see no reason to a D&F more than once a year. Especially using Maxlife.

I don't trust the maintenance minder.

My car has 110,000 kms on it and the MM has still never told me to change the atf fluid. It also never told me to change my brake fluid, but about 2 years ago I got in my car one -20 degree winter morning, started driving then pressed the brake, and the car just kept going because the brake fluid had water in it and froze.

Also it takes an entire year for my oil life to get to 50%, so if I followed the MM I would only change my oil every 2 years, which I am sure is not enough.

I suspect the manufacturer recommends fluid changes less frequently than they should ideally be changed, in order to make the car's cost of ownership artificially low.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Transmission fluid once a year? Insane.

A drain and fill every 30k/3 years is MORE than enough.

Use DW-1.

This.

And use the Honda DW-1 fluid. What is it $10 more than the WalMart stuff? ALWAYS use the Honda fluid in their auto transmissions. You can find the fluid on Amazon.

Originally Posted By: DanIsTheBeerGuy
I don't trust the maintenance minder.

My car has 110,000 kms on it and the MM has still never told me to change the atf fluid. It also never told me to change my brake fluid, but about 2 years ago I got in my car one -20 degree winter morning, started driving then pressed the brake, and the car just kept going because the brake fluid had water in it and froze.

Also it takes an entire year for my oil life to get to 50%, so if I followed the MM I would only change my oil every 2 years, which I am sure is not enough.

I suspect the manufacturer recommends fluid changes less frequently than they should ideally be changed, in order to make the car's cost of ownership artificially low.

110k km is only about 65k miles, which isn't all that high.

Brake fluid isn't monitored by the MM. Honda's recommendation is changing it every 3 years regardless of mileage.

They also say to change the oil every year if the light doesn't come on in a year.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Transmission fluid once a year? Insane.

A drain and fill every 30k/3 years is MORE than enough.

Use DW-1.

He and many Honda owners do a "drain and fill" more frequently as a simple drain removes only about 1/3rd of the transmission fluid.

Use the best fluid you can and change less often. Maybe every 5 years.
The more work done on the car, the more likely something gets done wrong. A stripped bolt, a bad gasket, a leak or something left loose. A failure like this could be catastrophic.

Transmission fluid does not need to be changed every 6,000 miles.

You drive 6000ish miles a year and you want to change the ATF twice a year? That is insane.

Only use Honda ATF and do a drain and fill every 30k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back