Cheap 3/8" Impact Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to pick up a cheap 3/8" impact gun (pneumatic). My immediate need is to remove 6-8 bolts and then I'd probably never use it again.

I'd really like to have a Chicago Pneumatic to go with my 1/2" drive even if I'm only going to use it a few times but even used, they're 2-3 times the price of a new Campbell Hausfeld or Harbor Freight brand.

I looked at the Husky brand at Home Depot. I don't like the forward/reverse switch. The CH brand at Walmart has the prefered push button but all the ones I handled, the button was very hard to push.

With cheap tools, it's usually six of one, half-dozen of the other but I thought it would make for a good discussion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
Check out Harbor Freight.

+1

they have easy returns too use it return it....
most places will let you do that as long as you dont completly ruine the tool.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I heard at one point, HF made a reasonably good impact at a quite reasonable price.

Hurricane?
Cyclone?
Earthquake?

Something that speed.

I think you mean the earthquake...

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
I think you mean the earthquake...

3rd time's a charm
laugh.gif

HF

Look around for any coupon's.
There flyer, Google image's etc....
Just got one in the mail for 20% off

The promised torque of the blister-pack types isn't there. "275 ft lbs" won't undo a 100 ft lb lugnut.

I have an earthquake; does what I need. Probably won't do a crank pulley; I bump the starter for those.

I think Harbor freight. A 3/8" air impact doesn't have to be a super powerful monster. I ve had one for years and it works well. It doesn't take much to drive 3/8" stuff.

I have a Craftsman 1/2" pneumatic that is a weakling and a 1/2" battery powered on that is really powerful.

I have a cheap Kobalt from lowes and it's taken care of everything I've thrown at it. It's 1/2" drive but the price is right. I pretty much only use it for lugs and brake jobs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, folks.

I need to go to HF this weekend to pickup a transmission jack so I'll check their impact guns as well.

only their earthquake series are worth buying

and those are very highly rated.

Last edited:
I've got an earthquake that's seen about 5 years of daily use and still does it's job. It's super heavy and kinda loud-ish but worth it. Got a nice ingersol rand a few months ago that super quiet and 750ft pounds. $300 and it's amazing. Super quiet and weighs much less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back