Cheap 12 pt socket vs monkey tight drain plug

B2B45308-932E-4A7F-8F61-F5997D132B0D.jpeg

Rocket socket worked!

My primary concern was tearing out threads with the plug. Didn’t happen. Things seem good. A magnetic plug with the same head/thread size will go back in torqued to 25nm.

C213D910-A9C9-497F-8476-58E48EE3B41F.jpeg

View attachment 131075

This was supposed to be easy… and I don’t think I’ve ever done this before on an oil drain plug.

The drain plug on my new to me 1991 350sd was really tight. I didn’t realize just how tight it was, and initially tried a 13mm cheap 12pt husky socket from the set that I have at my remote garage, and it rounded off. I managed to get a 13 mm six point socket, but it just kept on rounding over. I then hammered on a 1/2 inch socket which went on tight but it too kept rounding the plugs. It also was a six point socket but it just kept on rounding over. I think the issue is is an aluminum pan with a copper gasket, so you have a good galvanic series there to corrode against each other.. At my remote garage I don’t have very good tools, the cheap set of vice grips that I got from someplace for free couldn’t grab the drain plug size enough.

I need to get this drain plug off, I’m assuming a spiral extractor is the best way? I’m a little bit worried because these pans are pretty fragile, I had issues with the pan on my other 1991, 350 SD, and how do use a time sert insert. I really don’t want to do that again.

Any recommendations?

I have rocket socket extractors, but I’m a little bit worried that the one that and we’ll grab since they wouldn’t have been socket will slide on the head now.

Thanks!
I've used a chisel to cut into a flat and then hammered away on it at an angle to the bolt head. Always works for me if there is room.

But you want just the bolt head hot not the rest. expansion is your friend with a too tight bolt
no- heating bolt head expands it tighter into the pan threads. Heat around the bolt on the pan to expand it away from the bolt and loosen its grip. Jusy saying...

no- heating bolt head expands it tighter into the pan threads. Heat around the bolt on the pan to expand it away from the bolt and loosen its grip. Jusy saying...
If the issue is on the threaded part, sure. I don't think it is. remove tension on the head and you can undo the bolt by hand, or tighten it further.

found every size I need on eBay in long handle six point box ends - name brand, but used - no sockets …

I see that I posted the wrong conversion chart. This is the right one. You can even print one out to keep in your tool box if you can find one online. Look on the right side of the chart where it says Metric......go down the mm column to 13 . The 13mm/ inch decimal is .5118 . Now look on the left side of the chart where it says Standard and look down the Inch decimal column until you find something close to the inch decimal .5118 . You will see 0.5 which is 1/2 . Hope that helps

Screenshot 2022-12-17 at 13-30-16 Amazon.com Easy to Read Fraction and Decimal to Metric Conve...jpg

I have good tools. I didn’t have them with me. I was at my 10-bay garage which is a bit of a drive and I don’t keep my nice tools there, because usually if I’m going to do a big job I’ll do it at home. I had a set of cheap husky ratchets there that I got from some garage sale. Never thought the 12pt would be so bad that it would round it over. Or that the plug would be so tight. Not sure if I have a pipe wrench that fits.

I have a quality set of extractors, US made, very sharp.
I need to know more about this 10 bay Garage! That sounds incredible!

Why do they let gorillas tighten plugs and put on oil filters,just a bit more than hand tight is good

I know I'm late to the party, but this would have been a good candidate for fixing it with a hammer... Smack the head of the bolt as hard as you dare and almost always it'll be more the loose enough to back out with whatever tool you have hand and sometimes by hand.

I know I'm late to the party, but this would have been a good candidate for fixing it with a hammer... Smack the head of the bolt as hard as you dare and almost always it'll be more the loose enough to back out with whatever tool you have hand and sometimes by hand.
Is that ok in an aluminum oil pan?

Is that ok in an aluminum oil pan?
From the pics, it looks like the drain is near the corner of the pan - it should have been planty strong. As always, ymmv, and of course you REALLY should test the waters before going ham with the 3lb'er but it has worked well on the things I've tried it on. Look at as another tool in your chest.. but not all tools are appropriate for all jobs.

It got that when I was hammering on a smaller socket. My fear was hitting that direction could have resulted in damaging the aluminum pan.

That's understandable, considering the original post was unclear .
I would have said F-350. That said, I’m a Ram cummins guy myself…

And I think back in 91, there were F-350 and then F-super duty trucks…

Like this:

63ABEB32-C975-4EE5-B83E-8E016CAB90F6.jpeg

But yes, 1991 Mercedes-Benz 350SD; w126 chassis, OM603.97 3.5L turbo diesel engine….

Back