Cheap 12 pt socket vs monkey tight drain plug

That's a good idea too! Looks like he has room for a small pipe wrench. I'd try that before drilling and using an extractor.

Excellent suggestion!!
I’ve got these for tomorrow.

472C2B95-3368-48D3-BDA6-C95132F92B72.jpeg

My metrinch will grab that.

Small pipe wrench, a vise grip, channel lock pliers... are all options.

If you don't have a good tool, you'll need to buy one!

I have a smaller Irwin set of extractors...they are fantastic. I find the courser spiraled extractors work better than the finer spirals.

I have a smaller Irwin set of extractors...they are fantastic. I find the courser spiraled extractors work better than the finer spirals.
I have both spiral and fluted Irwin extractors. So I’m good there too if need be. I don’t know how tight this thing is, it can’t be that bad. I’d think that an external grip would be better than an internal one… since the bolt flange is still there and big.

Rocket Sockets will take that off. Just tighten it down and then tap the handle with a small hammer. The impact shock will loosen it easier than a constant pressure. I did the same thing with 2 Tranny pan bolts and Rocket Sockets were the only thing that would budge them without tearing the heads off.

I have both spiral and fluted Irwin extractors. So I’m good there too if need be. I don’t know how tight this thing is, it can’t be that bad. I’d think that an external grip would be better than an internal one… since the bolt flange is still there and big.
I agree. I think the rocket sockets will work. If that or a pipe wrench rounds it off more, you know its soft and will drill easily.

It's six point or nothing for me for just this reason. I would use a rocket socket with a impact on it at this point, and with a bit of luck it will come out, if not I'd drill it and use a extractor.

Here's a comparison between a 6 point and a 12 point socket >>>>>>>>>>>>>

View attachment 131110
It's six point or nothing for me for just this reason. I would use a rocket socket with an impact on it at this point, and with a bit of luck it will come out, if not I'd drill it and use an extractor.
Yeah. Lesson learned. I thought I had read that modern well made 12pt sockets don’t remove fasteners. Of course a husky set isn’t necessarily the greatest. Lesson learned. I almost only ever use 6 pt too.

Last edited:
Metric system has been the standard in Germany for about the last 150 years.
I usually grab a metric socket first and give it a wiggle test. If it seems sloppy.......... I'll grab a SAE equivelent and use whatever one fits tightest.

A conversion chart makes this easier >>>>>>>>>>

@JHZR2 This has been a rough year for you with stuck fasteners!
Yeah, and bad threads… which is precisely why I’m asking on here out of an abundance of caution….

Since I know the threads in these oil pans don’t have a ton of material behind them, and since I’ve had such bad luck, I want to take the smartest/safest route, since it seems like the prior oil changer did overtighten the plug….

I know full well these cars take a 13mm socket. That was obvious from history and looking at it.

With 50 year old sockets

Bit different with off corner loading.

I'll take a 6 point over any type of 12 point socket off corner loading or not. My go to is a off corner 6 point deep (save my knuckles) socket, but you still need to address the bolts condition. Sometimes a old expendable socket and hammer work best when you're in a jam.

https://therocketsocket.com/ just like the Irwin and HarborFreight stuff and made locally which is important to some. Local autopart stores usually have generic store brand versions and sometimes you can buy just the 1 size that you need.

Corner driving, whether 6 or 12 point, is a failure waiting to happen if not flat side loaded. SK SureGrips, Snap-On FlankDrive(xtra), Proto AntiSlip ... are some
And, then there are all those Griptite Craftsman Proto Husky KobaltCamlock spline sockets too.

metrinch.jpg

Back