Charging and taking advantage

Random business thoughts.

It seems as though limited junk properties along long stretches of road could be profit centers for expensive EV charging soon. Pick an area that people travel with limited services.

Seems like a market opportunity that has much easier entry than a fuel station with EPA regs, self serve and no employee. Sort of like a random ATM with an extra $5 surcharge on it.

It seems that if you have the right to a property, ChargePoint will set up a thingie and split the money with you, much like your ATM example.

They charge 3x what I pay per kWh, so I don't stop there often.

With EVs having ever-increasing range drivers can and will become more picky about where they stop. We have some chargers in the middle of nowhere that were positioned for short range EVs (early Leaf models). Those now sit mostly unused, visited only by spiders.

1642289599796.png

Random business thoughts.

It seems as though limited junk properties along long stretches of road could be profit centers for expensive EV charging soon. Pick an area that people travel with limited services.

Seems like a market opportunity that has much easier entry than a fuel station with EPA regs, self serve and no employee. Sort of like a random ATM with an extra $5 surcharge on it.
Elon started doing that 10 years ago. He has made rest stops with coffee, clean restrooms and stuff you can buy.
Kettleman City is the big one between San Jose and LA. Right off 5, used to be an old Burger King I hear.

When we take vacations we tend to stop at the larger gas stations and truck stops that have restaurants, gift shops, nicer restrooms, etc. I'm thinking that the amount of time an EV customer would spend at the business would be longer than a typical gas or diesel customer so the real profit opportunities will probably be in all the ancillary purchases made while they are waiting for their vehicles to charge not necessary just the rate charged for their re-charging.

Given a choice I'd only stop at a charging station with clean bathrooms and a quality restaurant. A road side charger isn't going to cut it with most EV drivers.
Another good place for a charging station would be at a mid range hotel where you could charge up in the evening or overnight (to 100% rather than the usual 80%).

Finally a pleasant place to park and rest would make for an attractive charging station. To give an example there is a charging station with clean washrooms, a dog walking area, a river running nearby, and parking places in the shade on the road between Kamloops and Jasper. We've stopped there for years for a 15 - 30 minute nap while driving ICE vehicles, and we could just as well be charging. It currently has a (free) level 2 charger but it really needs to be level 3 to be the complete package.

Until charging stations are as widespread across the nation as filling stations, EV's are all but worthless for long distance travel..... And even then you better be retired, and don't care if it takes you 3 weeks to travel coast to coast. At best they are currently a second vehicle for local puddle jumping and grocery getting. This regardless of how cool they seem, or how fast they can go.

Until charging stations are as widespread across the nation as filling stations, EV's are all but worthless for long distance travel..... And even then you better be retired, and don't care if it takes you 3 weeks to travel coast to coast. At best they are currently a second vehicle for local puddle jumping and grocery getting. This regardless of how cool they seem, or how fast they can go.
I'd argue that it would take batteries with the same stamina as drivers-- either 14 hours without charging or 6 hours with the ability to get another 3-4 hours in 20 minutes.

Or, of course, a "range extender" gas engine. It'd be cute if you could rent one on a trailer and umbilical it to your car for that annual road trip.

BP is going to get into car charging. They state that there is more profit in electric charging than in selling gasoline.

If you drive an EV now you know and accept it's limitations. The rest of us Rosy Odonnell and wait. Agree that for most people an EV would be a perfectly fine 2nd car and for a lot of people the only car, we all know people who never go anywhere. There will probably always be people that an EV won't be a practical option, personal opinions aside.

Elon started doing that 10 years ago. He has made rest stops with coffee, clean restrooms and stuff you can buy.
Kettleman City is the big one between San Jose and LA. Right off 5, used to be an old Burger King I hear.

He should put one up at Wiley’s Well near Blythe. Nothing out there but rattlesnakes and the rest stop.

BP is going to get into car charging. They state that there is more profit in electric charging than in selling gasoline.
I suspect that this will be the tipping point. Once the oil companies get on board like this and start putting their money into it the charging stations will start popping up all over. I could see tech companies taking an interest in this space as well.

The other issue I see that not many people talk about is volume.

A station like the one by my house has 20 gas pumps and 4 diesels. Seems typical for stations off the highway. Rare that the pumps are backed up and you have to wait, even at the local BJ's or Costco.

How many chargers would you need to "fuel" the same traffic, if most cars are EVs?

The other issue I see that not many people talk about is volume.

A station like the one by my house has 20 gas pumps and 4 diesels. Seems typical for stations off the highway. Rare that the pumps are backed up and you have to wait, even at the local BJ's or Costco.

How many chargers would you need to "fuel" the same traffic, if most cars are EVs?
Far less, as most owners charge at home and/or work. The tipping point is apartment and condo charging, and that is starting.
EVs are not for everyone, but I can tell you starting every day with a full tank is amazing.

Far less, as most people charge at home and/or work. The tipping point is apartment and condo charging, and that is starting.
I see the point you're trying to make but I'm not picking up what you're putting down.

I'd say that most of the people that fill up along major highways are on long trips.

I see the point you're trying to make but I'm not picking up what you're putting down.

I'd say that most of the people that fill up along major highways are on long trips.
I did not intend to put anything down.
In the vast majority of cases, longer trips are better off with an ICE vehicle.
Each case is different, but as an EV owner, that is my opinion.

EVs are not for everyone, but I can tell you starting every day with a full tank is amazing.
First of all, I think Roofless was mostly talking about highway trips, and you are correct, right now those are better in an ICE vehicle. The people in the Netherlands seem to have the most experience with this, and I've seen the long lines that followed. As charging times shorten and charging stations become more common, it might even work out that EVs are suitable for a one car family.

Secondly, how much of that "full tank" everyday do you use in a typical day?
Disregard any road trips, just your daily routine.

Last edited:
For us, the tech is coming-the xB really never goes very far (mostly BC it’s not a very comfortable long distance runner, geared too low, bouncy short WB, etc.). The trick is finding an EV replacement with somewhere near the interior space, most things I’ve seen aren’t there yet (although the C-Max is/was close). Battery life & purchase prices aren’t too good either.

Back