Charged to Take Used Oil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody ever paid to have a used filter disposed of? Taking the used oil back today after changing it, the first place wanted some money to take back the filter. I left to go down the street to a place that didn't charge after hearing they wanted to charge. I know they do have the right to charge. However, most places will take the filter for free along with the oil. I guess this first place doesn't want my business much.

I just empty the oil and into the garbage can. Our recycle people will mot take it or the empty oil containers. AZ won't take oil filter or AT but, will take motoe or gear oil.

Never had a problem the local town takes both the oil and filter for no charge.

I keep all my old oil filters in an old drain pan and when it gets full I take them to a Tires Plus store down the street and put them in their oil filter recycling container. They never charge me for it and they don't mind me bringing the filters in. My old oil goes to the local AAP store for recycling.

I let mine drain into the drain pan for a while them toss them in the trash.

The oil and gear oil goes to napa or autozone

Seems like it depends on state and local city / county laws as to where you need to take them. Around Northern CA I end up taking them to the hazardous waste spot with my oil after about 4-5 changes. It's a little further than Kragen and others but I never have to hear - we're full and get turned away by what is probably a lazy underpaid counter person.

Most Wal-Marts take the used oil filters. They just put them in a big separate collection bin next to the oil collection. Nice and convenient that way, I just bring them with me when I recycle my oil there.

I drop off the used filters at EXPRESSWAY after they've closed.
cool.gif

Oil is not a problem, but what do you do with old gas, stinky old stale gas out of equipment that sat awhile. Ive been posed with that problem before, in Florida, you cant even burn it in a fire pit. I once took a truck in for warranty work, a big Autocar truck, and they had to pull the radiator, it was about 1994, anyway they pulled the truck over the drain and drained it down the city water drain, this was a dealership too. No wonder they dont want you in the shop area. We are talking about 10+ gallon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back