Characteristics of a good Oil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From reading this board I came to understanding that characteristics of the good modern day Oil Filter would be synthetic media and sylicone ADBV. Is that so? What other things(elements of design, properties) would characterise good Oil Filter? What criteria do You personally use to chose one or another oil filter when You shopping for a filter? Thank You.

I'm afraid of small inlet holes on the M1 and K&N filters; although Gary thinks that's silly.
grin.gif

Quote:

From reading this board I came to understanding that characteristics of the good modern day Oil Filter would be synthetic media and sylicone ADBV. Is that so? What other things(elements of design, properties) would characterise good Oil Filter? What criteria do You personally use to chose one or another oil filter when You shopping for a filter? Thank You.

I like pure one filters. Read the filter cross reference a while back and started using them on my street bike and just decided to go with them on my vehicles too.

FWIW, Most people will say Fram oil filters are doo doo but I used them when I was younger and never had a problem with them!
hide.gif

When I'm looking for a filter, I decide what brand I want to choose by what length of time/mileage I will be using my filter for. 5,000 mi or less, I would choose a conventional filter such as Supertech, Fram, STP, etc. If deciding to use synthetic oil in my vehicle, I would go with filters made to last for extended intervals such as Mobil 1, K&N, etc.

Quote:

Quote:

I like pure one filters. Read the filter cross reference a while back and started using them on my street bike and just decided to go with them on my vehicles too.

FWIW, Most people will say Fram oil filters are doo doo but I used them when I was younger and never had a problem with them!
hide.gif

Fram filters really aren't that bad, I think most people's beef with them is that they're just overpriced for what they are, and that the construction quality just isn't as good as what other competitors offer. I'd use one if I had to, my car's used Honda OEM Honeywell (Fram) filters for years before I purchased it, the engine's still in one piece!
laugh.gif

I pretty much agree with Champ ...except filters outside of the walls of Champ labs are included
laugh.gif

List of 3k-5k filters.

Anything with a nitrile ADBV and under $3/each. AA TG bogo rules!! Though ST was a well represented member of my filter shrine.

Stepping up
MC/PureOne/Wix/M1/EaO more or less in that order

..yes, I don't think that inlet hole size is something to consider as a criteria for a good filter.
smile.gif

Quote:

I'm afraid of small inlet holes on the M1 and K&N filters; although Gary thinks that's silly.
grin.gif

As Pete C. has stated, add up the area of the inlet holes vs. the area of the outlet hole in the block return and you might be surprised.

Okay, you've essentially got the essentials. Other things are preferences. Stuff like open end bypass valve opposed to closed/dome end bypass valve. Some like metal endcaps as opposed to fiber or composite (although some filters do have plastic polymer end caps).

The bypass valve issue isn't an issue to me. It is to others.

My personal criteria is the longest service life with the finest filtration. That used to mean PureOne. M1 was better in filtration ..but cost (typically) 50% more. Not enough of an edge to warrant the price difference (mainly in marketing and ROI for the vendor). When the EaO set a higher standard for filtration and longevity, it tipped the scale to leapfrog over M1.

Anything I'm missing?

Thank You. Do I really need a filter with synthetic media and sylicone ADBV for 5-6k oil change intervals? Considering I'm heavy on my cars. If so, what specific filters answer that criteria? Does PureOne has both synthetic media and sylicone ADBV?

Simple it should come in a new Amsoil EaO box. Be black and come with an EaO lable and actually come from Amsoil.

Better filtration, capacity, and flow.

smile.gif

Quote:

Thank You. Do I really need a filter with synthetic media and sylicone ADBV for 5-6k oil change intervals? Considering I'm heavy on my cars. If so, what specific filters answer that criteria? Does PureOne has both synthetic media and sylicone ADBV?

Well, "it depends" (naturally
smile.gif
) I'd say that the silicon ADBV is a good feature for a 5-6k OCI. Many get fatigued after 3k or so and you get start up rattle (not so bad all in itself, but it annoys the heck out of people). The synthetic media thingie is debatable. I'd say that I personally won't use an upper tier filter unless I can get my money's worth out of it. That means it has to remain in service long enough to warrant its cost over the lower level offerings.

So....if your 5k-6k are in the 6month range, then I would use a premium filter for one year/two OCI - which ever comes first. Then it's just down to the level of filtration. In the order I'd rank them.

Wix
PureOne
M1
EaO

Baldwin HPG filters would be in there (High Performance Glass media) but the distribution is spotty. YMMV on price.

I'm uncertain if PureOne is a cellulose or blended media.

How many miles a year? What type of service? Are you willing to leave a filter on for more than one OCI?

I put lower tier filters on beaters that have reduced annual mileage or otherwise see severe service that forces the sump to be changed in a compressed mileage/time figure ..where I think that either the cold start loading ..or other insults would prohibit the extended use of a better filter. Of the lower offerings I think that MC offers the most value. ST used to, but now the price differential between ST and MC are not enough for me. AA Total Grips are also another filter I use ..but mainly because I can get them during one of Advance Auto's BOGO sales. Very hard to pass on that.

No synthetic fiber filters are available here, but every time a salesman comes to sell me filters I cut open his equivalent of the PH-8A. Some of them are pictured here:
http://www.widman.biz/Seleccion/Motores/Filters/filters.html
I eliminate the ones that have half the material, eliminate the ones (fram)where the perforated tube has to seal against the metal center (ok, I only cut open 2 of them in 2 different cities, but both had the same defect). I eliminate the ones where the by-pass valve sticks and the ones where the paper is not firmly glued in place.
So my preference is:
1. Mann
2. LuberFiner
3. Denso
4. Tecfil

I bought a few cases of NAPA filters (air, oil, diesel) for my Ford F550, but had to import them personally, as no one carries filters here for the 6.0 Powerstroke.

I like to look in there and see steel, call me old fashioned, but that plastic cage doent get it with me. I used to like AC filters, but they look like garbage now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back