changing tranny filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to the site and enjoy the info and comments
Here's my question. I have a 2005 town car. I change the tranny fluid even 70,000 miles.
Now have 210,000 miles on car. I have never changed the filter. I'm thinking of
doing a complete tranny exchange (flush) with Maxlife synthetic , cleaning pan and magnet
and changing the Filter. Since I have never changed the filter before, will doing so possibly cause a tranny problem ?
Thanks to all.

Most autoboxes generate the majority of debris when new. If it didn't clog by now then it isn't likely to.

I like a fluid exchange alternated with a filter change. We like 30k miles as an interval here. Maxlife is an excellent choice IMO.

I've seen more than one transmission fluid product bearing the name "MaxLife".

Is it unreasonable to ask for products' full names? I'm not referring to "Valvoline MaxLife" etc.
I'm referring to MaxLife Dex/Merc vs. Dex/Merc LV.....that kind of thing.

I don't believe changing the filter will cause any issues....cleaning the pan and magnets and changing the fluid and filter should keep things running smooth. As far as 'flushing'...I wouldn't use anything that used pressure....I'd probably just D&R....but if you want to 'flush it' just disconnect the trans line and keep adding fluid (while running) until it's coming out red...top it off to the correct level and call it good.

Thanks all. The product that I was looking at was MaxLife Dex/Merc LV (multi-veh),. I don't intend to use a chemical agent, merely a full fluid exchange.

The only thing changing the filter will do is create less of a restriction so the pump can suck up the appropriate volume of fluid. It's good to clean the magnets and pan.

Has the pan ever been dropped?

Reason I ask is, if it's been in NY since 2005, the pan bolts might be corroded badly, leading to a whole'nother can-o-worms.

Originally Posted By: Dennisistheman
I'm new to the site and enjoy the info and comments
Here's my question. I have a 2005 town car. I change the tranny fluid even 70,000 miles.
Now have 210,000 miles on car. I have never changed the filter. I'm thinking of
doing a complete tranny exchange (flush) with Maxlife synthetic , cleaning pan and magnet
and changing the Filter. Since I have never changed the filter before, will doing so possibly cause a tranny problem ?
Thanks to all.
No! If some thing will happen it would be because there already is a problem. Never changed the filter?

Just a heads up if the pan has never been dropped you will see a little floaty plastic plug in the pan. That was the plug used to block off the dipstick tube hole on the assembly line. They pushed them into the pan when they put in the dipstick tube.

The Dex/Merc LV (Low Viscosity) is what I was using in all applications which called for JWS3309.
In your case you're looking for a "Mercon V", no?
I do not remember if the MaxLife Dex/Merc LV includes Mercon V.

My friend's 2 Fords took Mercon V but I had stocked up on single, specifically labeled Mercon V quarts so I never checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back