Changing the Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you suposed to put any oil in the oil filter before screwing it on? I know your suposed to put some of the rim at the top. I noticed when there is oil in the filter, it doesn't make a noise when starting it up. When I change the filter and put a new one on without any oil, I guess it's the filter making the noise???

I think if you can it a good plan. Some will say you are putting unfiltered oil in the filter. That may be true-but how clean is the inside of the filter
frown.gif

I always pre oil my filter... the filters on both my cars are vertical mounted. If you have a vertical mount filter then I would do it. It will help reduce the amount of time it will take oil to reach the top end of the engine.

I'd much rather have possibly unfiltered oil for a second or two than no oil pressure.

It scares me enough on initial start-up that my pan plug might be loose or my filter gasket might blow... I don't want to worry about no pressure either.

ferb!

I too always prime my oil filters,even when they are mounted on an angle.If you are quick enough you can get the thread started without losing too much oil.The oil may be unfiltered but straight out of the bottle it should be clean.Although look into the bottom of the 4 litre plastic jugs after they are emptied and you quite often see a film of sediment.Best not to let that get into the engine.
smile.gif

I've found you can even put oil in horizontally mounted filters. I fill my filter once, let it settle, fill it a second time, let it settle, then install it. Very little to no oil spillage when installing the filter. A little experimentation will determine how much oil you can add without it spilling during installation.

The oil pressure comes up noticably quicker on start-up.

[ May 17, 2003, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Rick in PA ]

quote:

Some will say you are putting unfiltered oil in the filter

What? It's strait out of the bottle....what needs to be filtered out of fresh oil?

dunno.gif

Is there something you know that you aren't telling us?? LOL.....

quote:

Originally posted by Rick in PA:
I've found you can even put oil in horizontally mounted filters. I fill my filter once, let it settle, fill it a second time, let it settle, then install it. Very little to no oil spillage when installing the filter. A little experimentation will determine how much oil you can add without it spilling during installation.

The oil pressure comes up noticably quicker on start-up.

Yeah, that is how I have been doing it the last 10 years. There used to be a good auto program Saturday mornings on PBS which my son never missed. That was one of several things I learned including torquing lug nuts.

Note, the show was nothing like those idiots on Car Talk on public radio now. It burns me to have my tax money support that crap.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I noticed when there is oil in the filter, it doesn't make a noise when starting it up. When I change the filter and put a new one on without any oil, I guess it's the filter making the noise???

No, it is the upper parts of the engine making the noise as no oil is getting up there until the filter fills up, goes into bypass etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back