Changing coolant in '94 Tercel

Status
Not open for further replies.
My coolant hasnt been changed since 1999 when a new water pump was installed under warranty. And before that it had never been changed. Its a bloody red color in the overflow tank and the radiator. My haynes manual gives pretty good instructions for draning the radiator and engine block. The owners manual says ethylene glycol antifreeze (not alcohol type). Im going to pick up some Xerex and distilled water, as well as a turkey baster for draining the overflow. Am I missing anything here?

I think Im going to change the thermostat too, since it takes FOREVER to heat up when its really cold in the winter. The only hard part looks like getting to the engine block drain bolt which is behind the exhaust manifold.

Well Im about halfway done. Having some trouble putting the new thermostat in. After that Ill fill it with Peak and H2O 50/50 mix. I think the stuff that was in there might be dexcool. Its a rusty, bloody red-orange. Doesnt really look to dirty though. I flushed the radiator pretty well. The engine block will still have residual orange stuff. Should I worry about this? Should I do another drain and fill in a couple of days to really get the orange crap out?

are you sure it's not toyota red long life coolant?

made for cars that aren't supposed to use silicate coolant?

It has Toyota long life init if it was done at the dealership and is red in color. I have used aftermarket Dexcool approved fluids in it's place when fluishing and refilling. I do not think I would use the regualr green coolant in it though. You do not have a very good track recorded of serviceing your coolant. The long life coolant in their before was able to handle extended drain intevals. The peak coolant you are useing now is probably only good for one year! It is also probably loaded with silicates and will end up killing your water pump prematurely. Just make sure you change it every year!!!

If you live near a Toyota dealership I would buy geniune Toyota long life coolant. If not try to get G05 type universal long life or at the minimum Dexcool aproved fluid.

Well I already filled it with Peak. Ive put it through the wringer and heated it up good and it wont overheat. It will be alright if I leave this stuff in for a year then? I can get some toyota coolant later and to another flush I guess, but what a mess on my garage floor when I let the engine block drain go! My owners manual says nothing about using toyota long life coolant. I think the peak will be fine, though Ill probably change it in a year.

[ August 08, 2004, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: FL-400S ]

Any brand long-life antifreeze/coolant and distilled water would be preferable to the borated, phosphated, hydrated-silicate green-snot-of-death working on your water pump seals, now. I just did my 2003 Sonata with WalMart's "SuperTech" extended life juice. Prestone no longer even makes silicated antifreeze products anymore if that tells you something. ONE YEAR, max, if you want to be sure to avoid risk of trouble. The OEM juice I drained (2 years, 1 month in service) was slightly cloudy. Though no outright sediment collected on the bottom of the galvanized catch pan, nor were the galvanized mottlings obscured from view, I nevertheless got the message that I probably wasn't any too soon avoiding the prospect of some costly trouble. I repeatedly filled, warmed, and drained with distilled water until the radiator drained absolutely water clear before installing the good stuff.

Im going to swap in a 192 thermostat, so I bought some Zerex G-05 for the refill. Ill try to run water through it and then let it cool and drain and fill it to get all the crap Peak out. Which BTW has already turned camoflage green in the overflow tank.

I couldnt get a new thermostat, but I put in Zerex G-05 today. The stuff is clear! I was shocked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back