Changing BMW AT Fluid at 155,000Miles For 1st Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought a 2001 BMW 325i with 153,000 miles that had never had its automatic transmission changed. I have been told by different experienced sources different things. Our BMW dealer service manager sold he probably wouldn't do it as sometimes it creates problems. Consumer Reports in their new issues said don't do it if you've never changed it because the old fluid has material or debris that has build up and provides now needed traction for the gears to catch. If you take it out the transmission may start slipping. Our BMW parts manager said he would change it and our BMW mechanic said he would do it.

I am now leaning towards not doing it. Would anyone have experience with this question ? Any help would be appreciated. We like the car a lot and it's driving fine now.

I have done this successfully with several cars (never a BMW) but I would drain and refill 3-4 quarts using s fluid extractor through the dipstick tube then drive 2-3000 miles and do it again 3-4 times until you get clean fluid on the stick. Then if there is a filter in the trans have a pan drop and filter change done.

Anytime anyone lets ATF go 150k you are taking a chance so the not changing theory will just end up with a burned out trans anyway so what's the difference.

BTw the whole debris in the fluid is causing traction is complete nonsense. What happens is that new fluid has more cleaning ability and may dislodge debris that could clog hydraulic passages and interrupt fluid flow.

Last edited:
My BMW hasn't had its automatic transmission changed either. But I think you meant the fluid
smile.gif

When I got my 530i at about the same miles as yours (but much longer calendar time), it hadn't had a fluid change either. I performed a cooler line flush with Walmart Dex VI (it specs Dex III) and have done so once more in the past 50,000 miles. Personally I think the old adage about late changes is a bunch of bull, fresh fluid is better than old fluid IMO. Just make sure you use the correct fluid specified by BMW whatever that may be.

This is a common thread in several other car forums. The consensus is you should change the fluid. Don't use a machine to do it, a normal pan drop and filter change is normal recommendation. Most dealerships don't want to do it because they're afraid of the liability. Usually people think about changing the fluid when they're having transmission problems so it end up dying afterwards so the shops don't want the headaches and getting blamed for killing their transmission when it was going to go anyway.

I'm not sure what steps I could do it in. I was thinking of what I think is called a drain and fill by replacing about 5 quarts of ATF fluid (BMW ATF) and changing the filter and gasket. But maybe 5 quarts at once is too much ?

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Dealerships have to warranty repairs 1 year I believe and they're afraid of this liability on a 150K+ miles BMW transmisison. They say it's better not to change it for them, not for you.

Use Mobil 1 ATF is supported and add one of these transmission magnets to catch any goo left: http://www.jegs.com/i/FilterMAG/384/TM180/10002/-1?parentProductId=813786

Then 500-1000 miels later do it again and clean the magnet.

Is the idea that the magnet will collect the debris that could clog the transmission. A response above said that by putting in new ATF fluid with good cleaning properties there would be material dislodged that could clog the transmission.

If your transmission is going to die from changing the fluid, refraining from changing it is not going to allow it to live for another 40k miles.

The specious reasoning that is constantly exercised when a transmission dies after a fluid change is: "Well, if I wouldn't have messed with it, it would have lasted forever!".

This is of course, not true.

With regards to changing the fluid itself, it doesn' matter whether you do it "fast" or "slow". Your transmission is not a girl on prom night. If it's going to begin dumping stuck contaminants, it's going to happen. Keeping old fluid up in there is going to do absolutely nothing to slow or stop that process.

I won't even get into the inaccuracy of the theory that old fluid has more traction. Any transmission relying on the "friction" of dirty fluid is dead and will cease to function in short order.

Service centers run away from neglected transmissions, because doing any service on that contains very little profit, and a ton of liability.

Originally Posted By: KevinV
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Dealerships have to warranty repairs 1 year I believe and they're afraid of this liability on a 150K+ miles BMW transmisison. They say it's better not to change it for them, not for you.

Use Mobil 1 ATF is supported and add one of these transmission magnets to catch any goo left: http://www.jegs.com/i/FilterMAG/384/TM180/10002/-1?parentProductId=813786

Then 500-1000 miels later do it again and clean the magnet.

Is the idea that the magnet will collect the debris that could clog the transmission. A response above said that by putting in new ATF fluid with good cleaning properties there would be material dislodged that could clog the transmission.

Install an external filter to catch anything that might come loose. Use a Magnefine inline filter.

Keep in mind that BMW e39 (as well as most recent BMWs) nominally have a "lifetime fill" fluid in the transmissions and differentials.

Many people don't believe in "lifetime fill", but the e39 drivetrains have a good record for longevity... they'll almost certainly be killed by a sudden cooling system failure before they wear out.

If you are perceiving a shift problem, try changing the VANOS seals. The original ones do start leaking and mimic a stutter-shift.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: djb
Keep in mind that BMW e39 (as well as most recent BMWs) nominally have a "lifetime fill" fluid in the transmissions and differentials.

Many people don't believe in "lifetime fill", but the e39 drivetrains have a good record for longevity... they'll almost certainly be killed by a sudden cooling system failure before they wear out.

If you are perceiving a shift problem, try changing the VANOS seals. The original ones do start leaking and mimic a stutter-shift.

Sure, but what is BMW's (or other manufacturers')definition of LIFETIME? 100k? Out of warranty? Add a drain plug to those pans and change at reasonable intervals.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
I wouldn't do it.

+1

at that mileage your running on borrowed time. That transmission is going to fail either way. Might as well save your $$ and put that money towards a new car/trans

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
at that mileage your running on borrowed time. That transmission is going to fail either way. Might as well save your $$ and put that money towards a new car/trans

So are you basing this on your knowledge of BMW automatic transmissions in general or this specific one? If 153,000 miles is "borrowed time" then I must owe a entire bank.

Even if your unsupported statement is true, fresh fluid is going to help, not hurt.

Originally Posted By: djb

The transmission shifts well. Question- Are you saying that the transmissions are relatively strong and might be ok without changing the fluid ?

Quote:
The transmission shifts well. Question- Are you saying that the transmissions are relatively strong and might be ok without changing the fluid ?

The unit is relatively reliable - not Aisin quality, but not nearly as fragile as the GM 4L30E unit used in it previously.

The bottom line is this - fluids wear out. If you are not going to own the car long and hope to be cheap and get by, then cross your fingers and hope for the best.

If you want the transmission to last as long as possible, clean the pan and magnets, check the filter and replace if a paper type, and put in new fluid. The fluid wears out just as engine oil does, but for slightly different reasons and on a much longer time horizon. 153k miles is well past any reasonably-minded service interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back