changing atf on a 95 Toy. Camry.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got this car and yes, i did a search and found nothing.I'm writing to find out what atf to use,cap., and does it have a filter and where,and a drain plug. Thanks!!!

ATF is Dexron II/III. Should be inscribed on the ATF dipstick.

There is a strainer (I think that's what it's called) which can be cleaned and be reused. There is a drain plug which is located underneath the driver side. It's easy to locate.

How many miles do you have on the car? and is it a I4 or V6?

I have a 94 Camry with 4 cyl and it has a felt filter. Wix lists a filter for your transmission for $26, so I assume its a felt filter not a strainer.

Do you have any idea on prior trans maint? What does the ATF look and smell like?

The best you can do for your transmission is?

1) Order 10 QTs of M1 ATF or Amsoil ATF
2) Drain and refill the pan (don't start engine)
3) Do a cooler line flush with remaining ATF
4) Install a Magnefine filter in rubber cooler line

Even better would be to drop pan and replace the filter, but that is not 100% required unless current ATF either smells burnt or looks like driveway sealer.

the fluid does look brownish, so i'm thinking of doing a few drain and refills.So there is a diff to drain on this car?

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
the fluid does look brownish, so i'm thinking of doing a few drain and refills.So there is a diff to drain on this car?

THIS SPACE FOR RENT, PLEASE PM ME. Oh man that beats all!!
crackmeup2.gif

Yeah, i know, no diff. Anyways, i have this light that's on right under the temp gauge.It looks like a car with liness coming off the rear.I've checked the tail lights and they seem good. What else can it be?

Yeah, i know, no diff. Anyways, i have this light that's on right under the temp gauge.It looks like a car with liness coming off the rear.I've checked the tail lights and they seem good. What else can it be?

What color is the light? Amber? You need to check all your lights front and back. In some places there may be 2 bulbs and both need to be working. I have ignored that light on my Camry for year after checking all lights and found them to be working.

Consider a cooler line flush rather than multiple drain and refills. Its easier than you think, takes maybe 30 minutes for you to do it yourself.

Given the brown ATF I might consider doing a cooler line flush first with some Walmart ATF then run maybe 1000 miles and do a second flush with some better ATF like M1 or Amsoil.

Given the brown ATF I might consider doing a cooler line flush first with some Walmart ATF then run maybe 1000 miles and do a second flush with some better ATF like M1 or Amsoil. [/quote]what's the easiest way to do this?

Go to HD and buy 4' of 3/8 clear vinyl tubing for under $1.00. Get 10 QTs of ATF. A few (3) gallon milk containers or similar.
Best to drain the pan first via the drain plug. Refill with 4QTs. Do not start engine yet.

Pull off both rubber cooler lines and see which is pushing fluid out. Attach the clear tubing to the cooler line that is pushing out ATF. Put other end of the clear tubing into an empty milk jug. Start the engine fill the milk jug 1/2 way and stop engine. Add 2 QTs of ATF. and repeat until you go through 9 QTs of ATF.

Wait maybe 15 minutes for all ATF to drain so you can get a good dipstick reading. Connect the cooler lines back up and use your last QT to bring the transmission to the proper level.

Your transmission takes 8.5 QTs for a total fill. 9 QTs should do a good flush and reserve 1 extra QT to bring the transmission to proper capacity.

You do have a front diff. that needs almost 2 QTs.

Look at the Amsoil website for capacity info. If it lists a diff. then you have one.

Its better to disconnect the cooler lines at the cooler so you can also flush the cooler. I disconnect the output line at my Magnefine filter to do a flush.

Some variations:
1) Have two people, one pouring fresh ATF down dipstick and another monitoring the drain hose looking for air bubbles. (Stop engine if you see any). You may or may not be able to keep up with the ATF draining.

2) Pour maybe 5 QTs of ATF after draining it and then drain 2-3 QTs per cycle.

For my 94 Camry I would get maybe 2 QTs of ATF out each time before I would see air bubbles (time to shut down engine when you see them).

In 30 minutes you can do this by yourself.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
This is for Lexus, but the idea is the same. The description is similar to Donald on post #5.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/transmission/transchange.html

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/transmission/transflush.html

The one for a flush does not mention a drain and fill of the pan before a flush. If you do not do that first you need to flush with maybe 3 extra QTs as there will be mixing of old and new ATF in the pan as the flush starts. You could push out fluid the first time until you see air bubbles and that would get most (not all) of the ATF out of the pan before you added new ATF.

If I had a drain plug (the Camry does) I would certainly do a drain a fill before the flush. If I did not have a drain plug I would do flush until I saw air bubbles before I added any ATF.

Doing a flush until you see air bubbles is not a problem as little lubrication is needed when transmission is in P. That being said, turn off engine when you see air bubbles, do not take a coffee or beer break with the engine running.

Did you check the third tail light bulb?

I have a 94 Camry wagon and have one tail light bulb in tailgate and one in body, so I do not see where a 3rd one would be.

I do have either a reflector or parking light in the front bumper area that is below the normal parking light and turn signal assembly. But no light on either side, yet I think there are wires going to it.

Maybe the bulb on both sides is burned out. Or it really is a reflector?

Originally Posted By: Donald
I have a 94 Camry wagon and have one tail light bulb in tailgate and one in body, so I do not see where a 3rd one would be.
You do not have a brake light mounted at the top of your hatch? That the third tail light; the other two are in the normal positions. I thought 3d brake lights were required after 1995? I had one in the 1990 Mitsu Mirage, surely Camry would have one????

Last edited:
I think center-mounted brake lights became mandatory for cars in 1986. And yes, 93-96 Camry wagons have one at teh top of the rear hatch glass on the inside. Very easy to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back