Changed the TP in my MG coolant bypass filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the TP for the first time today as I was installing a new radiator anyway. Holy cow! Where did all that muddy sludge come from? Ralph was right. Coolant is filthy. The filter has been installed about 10 weeks. I am surprised the coolant continued to flow through the filter as much mud as there was on top of the TP.
shocked.gif

Thanks Gary. It's not easy to get good pics in my garage, at night. But I was too busy fabricating on the Jeep earlier today. Had to get it ready to do route duty by tomorrow.

They were decent shots of what counts. Amazing what's lurking around in clean looking coolant.
shocked.gif
is right.

Thats one thing about filtering coolant. You can see how effective the filter is. It's the same with propane engines and automatic transmissions. My concern is the coolant and sometimes ATF will react with the epoxy coating in the Motor Guard. It might be a good idea to install a secondary filter in the return line. I am sending Cherokee a 90 micron sintered bronze filter. If the Motor Guard stops getting hot the secondary filter is clogged. The stock coolant filters can't remove the stuff Cherokee has. It is too small. Its kind of like diesel soot. It took a few filter changes on my old Ford diesel to clean up the system. I had some trouble with the glycol attracting the epoxy but I thought it was because the filter had been in use on motor oil for ever 30 years. The old M-100 filters had no epoxy coating.
I'm not using a secondary filter. The one I am sending Cherokee is from mcmaster.com 98355k862. Some of the flushing fluids people are using on these transmissions is pretty strong. Sometimes they will ruin an older transmission. It has been my experience that the best thing to flush with is clean lubricants and coolants. I wonder how the propylene glycol coolants work. At work I filter large 1000 gallon systems I use larger filters that I made that use recycled rags. They work very well. The head engineer doesn't like the cost of propylene glycol. I hate to get the ethylene glycol on my hands.

SWHeat,
It was not easy. To make room for the transmission fluid bypass filter, I had to remove the stock overflow bottle and install a small aftermarket bottle on the other side of the engine. To make room for the coolant bypass filter, I had to move the battery to inside the Jeep. That was a major project for me, but as you can see by the pics it was worth the trouble. The motor oil bypass filter was installed without moving any stock parts. I've recently become a bypass filter junkie. Even my Dixie Chopper lawmower has a bypass filter.
crazy.gif

Ralph,
There is no problem with the epoxy on the Motor Guards on the motor oil or transmission fluid. Only the one on the coolant is showing a reaction. I just looked on the Zerex G-05 jug and it has ethylene glycol and diethylene glycol in it. I chose that antifreeze because it seems to have a good reputation with the people on the coolant forum here on BITOG. I could change to a propylene glycol antifreeze if that will eliminate the problem with the epoxy.

I don't know anything about the diethylene. Most of the several hundred filters I have out there are not used for coolant. Its mostly motor oil, ATF and fuel. They are getting popular as a final filter for these guys that make bio diesel. I am getting a filter ready to send to a guy that told me his family used the Motor Guards on earth moving equipment years ago. There are a lot of uses for submicronic bypass filters. There are only a few true submicronic filters out there now.
Someone asked me how the filters would work with the Evans coolant. That's a good question but I don't have the answer. I'll bet it is some good stuff. It seems like Amsoil had a similar product once. I think it is a propylene glycol product. I know it's not as toxic.

Cherokee,
I am going back to the origional uncoated die cast aluminum housing. We never had any problems with corrosion with the origional uncoated filters. They would get a little crusty in the bottom if you had water standing in the bottom the same as a carburetor. Antifreeze normally protects the aluminum the same as the other aluminum parts in the system. I will get some complaints from the people that like the epoxy coating. I might check to see what it will cost to have the outside powder coated and what color to do. Otherwise they look like an old nickel. The origional filters looked like a new nickel when they were new and soon took on the color of an old nickel. I sent some gaskets to a guy for his 40 year old Motor Guards that don't have the coating. I have a very old MG bypass filter that is red. It probably came off a red GM engine. It has a submicronic element. Submicronic elements are hard to find for those filters now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back