Changed oil things got interesting

ALS

Stopped at the dealer this morning for an oil change. With close to 3 months on the warranty on my new motor, this is the only reason for still using dealer. I got the oil changed and headed off to work which is only about 1-1/2 miles away from dealer. My ears perked up real fast about a block from the dealer when I realized how quiet the motor was. The old Mobil One 10W30 only had 4,500 miles on it and I use Volvo OEM filters (Mann). The engine feels and runs the same just quieter at idle. I never noticed this before, after changing the oil. Have any of you noticed this with your cars with fresh oil.

quote:
Originally posted by Mystic: I have always noticed that an engine in a car or truck seems to run better immediately after an oil change. It did not seem to matter what oil I used as long as the oil was of acceptable quality. Other people say that this is just imagination, but I try hard to always notice how an engine runs and this has been my experience.
Ditto

ALS

quote:
Originally posted by XS650: Could be that the old oil had sheared down to a lower viscosity.
Will know soon enough. Sending a sample of the old oil out this week to Blackstone.

ALS

I don't think so? I'm still using M1 10W30 that I supplied. And yes I watched the tech pour in the oil. Maybe Mobil has thicken up the M1.

Patman

Staff member
I've honestly never noticed a difference in how my engine runs when switching to a fresh batch of the exact same oil. Switching to a different brand of oil, that's another story...

A guy I race with had this happen when he raced a Sentra SE-R a number of years ago. He reconed it did this because of the small bearings that the motor had. Anyway, it would take 1 event for normal dino oil to idle rough, 2 for M1 to idle rough and 4 for Redline to idle rough.

Patman, I did notice remarkable improvements in how an engine ran using Chevron and Schaeffer's. Another oil my previous car really seemed to like was Valvoline MaxLife. I would say that Lube Control makes a difference also. And after you clean an engine using Auto-RX the engine seems to run better.

I have always noticed that an engine in a car or truck seems to run better immediately after an oil change. It did not seem to matter what oil I used as long as the oil was of acceptable quality. Other people say that this is just imagination, but I try hard to always notice how an engine runs and this has been my experience.