Change Your Thermostat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
This is what happens when you neglect to change the coolant on a regular basis.
That's what I thought too-if that system was still on Dex, it either was never changed or is getting sludged from mixed AF. That's what caused the stuck 'stat.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
This is a timely post for me. I noticed on my '02 Ford Explorer what looks like an antifreeze leak where the thermostat goes. My mechanic said I have to change out the housing that holds the thermostat, not just the thermostat and gasket. He also said the housing costs $145, and an hour labor.Does anyone believe this needs to be done?. It's more of a weep then a leak of any size, has anyone here done the housing replacement?.,,

Common problem on the Ford 4.0 SOHC. In their infinite wisdom, Ford's engineers decided that hot coolant should come out of the engine via a plastic (!!) thermostat housing.

I am changing mine out on my 2008, my old [censored] mechanic, replaced it with one that runs it too cold, that then through a CEL. I am changing them out of the fleet, starting this summer.

That thermostat looks pretty cruddy. I forget how bad mine looked when it came out (for opening too early and running the engine at 160), but yours looks kinda rusty.

I thought cars down over there didn't rust?

Originally Posted By: supton

I thought cars down over there didn't rust?

Pretty much the only time cars down there DO rust is when people use straight water in their cooling systems with no antifreeze. They think just because the temperature never gets below freezing they don't need it.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Hot coolant circulates through the heater core regardless of thermostat position.
x2

UNLESS the interior temp valve has been set to "cold".

Had to explain this, never know who's reading

For over 40 years I've changed my coolant in reasonable intervals and have never had a problem with the thermostat, just saying.

Whimsey

You shouldn't over drive once the temp gauge goes up and the lights come on.

Pull over, phone the wrecker, and you will have a working engine after the thermostat service has been performed.

I don't agree you need to change your thermostat. Changing the thermostat sounds great till you think, what about the water pump, the belts, the hoses....the list never ends.

I would say though, teach you Mom, GF and every other key turner in the family that when a car over-heats....shut it down, no excuses.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
This is a timely post for me. I noticed on my '02 Ford Explorer what looks like an antifreeze leak where the thermostat goes. My mechanic said I have to change out the housing that holds the thermostat, not just the thermostat and gasket. He also said the housing costs $145, and an hour labor.Does anyone believe this needs to be done?. It's more of a weep then a leak of any size, has anyone here done the housing replacement?.,,

I've done several and yes they are common and yes the whole housing needs replaced. Sounds like he's being honest to me. It's a terrible design they fail often.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
I don't agree you need to change your thermostat. Changing the thermostat sounds great till you think, what about the water pump, the belts, the hoses....the list never ends.

I would say though, teach you Mom, GF and every other key turner in the family that when a car over-heats....shut it down, no excuses.

Sounds great in theory but sometimes you cannot just pull over rush hour traffic would be an example and so would a two lane back road with no shoulders at night . Sometimes you can of just pull over or shut it off.

oh complete baloney. If that's the case I should be having major cooling system failures as I have not changed coolant on a car in 15 years.

oh complete baloney. If that's the case I should be having major cooling system failures as I have not changed coolant on a car in 15 years.

Phillip10 is correct

Originally Posted By: ram_man

Sounds great in theory but sometimes you cannot just pull over rush hour traffic would be an example and so would a two lane back road with no shoulders at night . Sometimes you can of just pull over or shut it off.
Yes, to me it's worth having the blown head gasket as that's better than being run over. She was on the I-10 (biggest Interstate in Arizona) in the heart of rush-hour traffic in downtown Phoenix, where we have over 4 million people, she was limited to where she could pull over.

My thermostat has been in for seven years. But I always watch the temperature gauge, and the little one-way valve was removed when it was installed so there is a 2mm diameter hole in it.

It therefore warms up more slowly in the winter, but I took the valve out as a safety margin.

Certainly for the cost of a thermostat it wouldn't hurt to change it out every so often. Maybe every 3 coolant flushes.. So 6 years, that is if you have the car that long.
The cooling system on my cavalier is weird, normally stays around 210*, but if I'm stopped at a drive through it creeps up to 218*, and that's when the radiator fan kicks on. Supposedly that's normal for these cars... weirded me out a bit when I first got it.

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
Also DO NOT BUY MOTORAD THERMOSTATS! Everyone I've ever had or installed has failed and failed closed... Get a Superstant or even better go OEM.

Funny there, as I have been running a Motorad in my car for many years now.

No one here can make blanket statements about "all stats" or "all cars" as the differences in performance and design of cooling systems as well as the engines they serve are too great...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back