Change rear diff fluid in Rav4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife heard a loud clunk and thought someone rear-ended her a couple days ago. No crash. Just the Rav4 making weird noises. After several tries over the years, I've finally got the rear differential bolts loosened. Some fluid dripped out of the fill hole. It was the color of coffee with cream in it. It's the factory fill. I drove it today and it drove pretty well. Some pulsing in the transmission as it downshifts. Think it's worthwhile to change it out?

Originally Posted by Leo99
Think it's worthwhile to change it out?

2004 Rav4 370,000 miles....hmm

If it came out the fill hole, it was full enough. Some can seep out over time & miles, but yours seems to have fluid anyway. ... Overdue for a change. Should probably go 150,000 miles on one change, max.
It should be easy, kinda, to change. Last time I did something like that to a rear end diff unit, I was able to squirt some diff fluid in via the typical diff bottle with a pointy end & a vinyl tube snug on the end of it. Probably just use the cheapest Walmart supertech fluid you can find. Use the thickest diff fluid on the shelf for that older unit.

Wonder if that noise and subsequent pulsing, as you described it, was a gear tooth back there chipping. If that's the case, life may be short and strand you somewhere. Thats the risk of not replacing the diff.

There is no such thing as a lifetime fluid.
There is no such thing as a lifetime fluid
There is no such thing as a lifetime fluid.
Lifetime fluids is just Redrum for cars

Originally Posted by JustinH
are the diff mounts worn out?

Yes change the fluid in both diffs. It is much easier on a lift with a fluid injection tube and a hand pump.

The front transfer case leaks so I've been topping that off for the past 100k+ miles with gear fluid and a pump. The rear is easier than the front to pump in the fluid. The rear uses recessed hex bolts while the front uses regular hex bolts. I had to hammer the hex socket into the opening to get it to bite properly.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
If it came out the fill hole, it was full enough. Some can seep out over time & miles, but yours seems to have fluid anyway. ... Overdue for a change. Should probably go 150,000 miles on one change, max.
It should be easy, kinda, to change. Last time I did something like that to a rear end diff unit, I was able to squirt some diff fluid in via the typical diff bottle with a pointy end & a vinyl tube snug on the end of it. Probably just use the cheapest Walmart supertech fluid you can find. Use the thickest diff fluid on the shelf for that older unit.

Wonder if that noise and subsequent pulsing, as you described it, was a gear tooth back there chipping. If that's the case, life may be short and strand you somewhere. Thats the risk of not replacing the diff.

The tranny is also wearing out so it's anyone's guess what will be the final cause of death.

I would change it immediately. I usually change diff & tranny (MT & AT) fluids about 50,000-75,000 miles but not above 75,000 miles.

It was the color of coffee with cream in it.

Hmm, gear oil + water or gear oil +water/air. What a great mix.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
It was the color of coffee with cream in it.

Hmm, gear oil + water or gear oil +water/air. What a great mix.

My first thought also. Past time for a change.

Won't harm or hurt to change, hopefully it won't go south. Good luck
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Why change what worked for 370,000 miles? Go to 400k at least. Did you put all the miles on?

That's what my wife says. Wait for 400k miles to change it.

She put all the miles on it.

I have SuperTech fluid for the front transfer case. Would use the same in the rear.

Wife heard a loud clunk and thought someone rear-ended her a couple days ago. No crash. Just the Rav4 making weird noises. After several tries over the years, I've finally got the rear differential bolts loosened. Some fluid dripped out of the fill hole. It was the color of coffee with cream in it. It's the factory fill. I drove it today and it drove pretty well. Some pulsing in the transmission as it downshifts. Think it's worthwhile to change it out?

You have got the hard part done. Get yourself some Supertech gear oil I think its about $6 a quart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Full-Synthetic-Gear-Lubricant-75W-90-1-Quart/309470123

Last edited:
Well, it's done.

Took a lot more fluid than I thought it would. Thought it took 1/2 liter but it took a full liter or maybe more. Had to run to Walmart to get more fluid. Lots of metal debris on the magnetic drain plug. Should be good for another 300k miles.

I'm genuinely impressed it made it this long on the FF, goes to show what good quality parts and fluid will do. Guess my 50k intervals aren't so long after all
crazy2.gif

Well, it's done.

Great! Now what about an atf drain and fill or a line-off exchange? How many atf changes has it seen? In the past I think you've stated none or maybe one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back