Change oil now or wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a F-350 with a V10 engine. The engine is new with 4600 miles. I did an oil change at 1000 miles using Pennzoil Ultra. I will be taking a trip pulling a toy hauler loaded with six bikes and all the needed equipment. So my question is with 3600 miles on the current oil change should I change the oil now or wait until I get back from the trip? Cost and saving money is not my concern as much as doing what is best for the engine.

Thank you for any feedback!

Well you don't say how long your trip is. The load you will be hauling is what that truck was designed for. You should be fine as long as you don't plan on crossing the US. If it gives you a warm feeling by changing it early and money isn't an issue then go for it. If it were me I would but then again Im kinda anal about things like that.

Last edited:
Since you changed it at 1000 miles , i would leave it in till 5k unless you have done a lot of really short trip driving.

Others will tell you to run it till 10,000 miles and dont look back.. i disagree, this is extreme duty your talking.. hauling towing. you didnt say how far you are going ? but if it was mine, I would change it out for pieve of mind. Look at it this way, how much has it sheared down in the 3,000 youv already had it going.. if its a long trip YUP.. across town.. not so much.. my two pennies

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Well you don't say how long your trip is. The load you will be hauling is what that truck was designed for. You should be fine as long as you don't plan on crossing the US. If it gives you a warm feeling by changing it early and money isn't an issue then go for it. If it were me I would but then again Im kinda anal about things like that.

Trip is only about 300 miles round trip to the desert. As far as being anal I guess I'm doing the same thing because that new engine cost me 7K and I don't want to f*@k it up.

Originally Posted By: yz450fpilot

Trip is only about 300 miles round trip to the desert. As far as being anal I guess I'm doing the same thing because that new engine cost me 7K and I don't want to f*@k it up.

300 miles ? naa, your fine.. leave it in..

Run it.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

300 miles ? naa, your fine.. leave it in..

x2

As others have said, it should be fine, particularly if you haven't done much towing or other severe service (short trips, hours of idling, etc.) during the 3600 miles you've run the oil so far.

If you want peace of mind, change it after the trip and do a UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back