Change Oil? It's Been 2,200 Miles Over 15 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.
I last changed the oil and oil filter on my 2005 Honda S2000 on 3/25/2009, about 2,200 miles ago.

Should I change it soon?

I am running Amsoil Signature Series 0W-30, and the car is garaged. I only drive it when it's "nice" out here in the Seattle area. When I do drive it, I drive it pretty hard (i.e., frequent jaunts to the 6-8k RPM range).

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: JawKnee
I last changed the oil and oil filter on my 2005 Honda S2000 on 3/25/2009, about 2,200 miles ago.

Should I change it soon?

I am running Amsoil Signature Series 0W-30, and the car is garaged. I only drive it when it's "nice" out here in the Seattle area. When I do drive it, I drive it pretty hard (i.e., frequent jaunts to the 6-8k RPM range).

Thanks!

what does it say in your owner's manual? my honda says 7500 miles or 1 year.

If most of your trips were more than 10-15 miles and with quality of Amsoil you could go to 2 years, assume that you did not rev above 5-6k after the engine had time to warm up.

I use dino in my S2000 and most my trips are less than 5-6 miles therefore I do 6 mo OCI.

I would go 1 year OCI.

I have a 1993 Ford Ranger that I go with 1 Year OCI.

I put on 3,000-4,000 miles a year on it.

Andy

First, congratulations on your 2nd post in 7 years. Quite a milestone if I must say so.

Second, I would change at the 1 yr mark and stick to a dino. A 2k OCI on synthetic is a waste.

Since you probably end up fully heating up the engine every time you drive it, I say it would be completely safe to wait until the 2 year mark to change the oil.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Since you probably end up fully heating up the engine every time you drive it, I say it would be completely safe to wait until the 2 year mark to change the oil.

+1

Originally Posted By: chad8
Originally Posted By: Patman

+1

+2 SSO is probably Amsoil's best oil, as long as the engine reaches operating temps long enough to burn off any excess fuel and moisture I see no problem going 2 years with it. Keep in mind Amsoil does suggest 1 year drain intervals, if you don't meet the miles they spell out for normal or severe service. A UOA could eliminate any second guessing.

JawKnee: If you search this forum, you will find a number of similar discussions that are highly detailed. This question is becoming so common now that many of us are weary of responding.

That said, +3: If you car is stored in a reasonably good facility, rdriven regularly (not necessarily frequently, but periodically) and, when driven, is driven for a sufficient time to "bake out" moisture and fuel dilution, then time has little meaning for the oil, regardless of brand or type (though synthetics resist oxidation better).

I'd leave it in for another six months. But I'd go out and get Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 with the $20 rebate and used that in the future as a cheaper option...

Thank you everyone for the feedback! It is greatly appreciated.

Jim, I did search prior to posting as I was afraid that this is a rather common question, but I will admit, I didn't search that hard.

Again, thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back