Change oil filter without ever changing oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am quite impressed and happy to see this little 1.5 go past 300k. What, if any, problems or repairs has it had throughout your ownership?

Originally Posted by EchoThat
Since I go through all of my car's oil between my 6000 mile oil changes, do you think that it is okay to change only the oil filter now without doing a complete change of the oil and filter simultaneously? I am going through a full change every 6k miles anyway by topping off with clean oil monthly.

Depends on what oil filter you use. This thread would get more action if posted in the Oil Filter Forum.

I would do what you are doing but start using Supertech Hi Mileage Syn because it's a good oil for under $15 a jug with a good long life filter (Fram Ultra, Wix XP etc).

Do a full oil change and filter once per year and top off in between. This would allow you to add needed oil as required but not needing to change the filter so often.

Originally Posted by robshelton

Sounds like something is wrong to me. Have you cleaned or replaced the PCV? That would be the first on my list.

Hope this helps, good luck!

I had a friend who's car burnt all but about a cup of oil in her Corolla by the time a light came on. Engine was sounding very bad.I could not believe what little oil came out. 1 cup out 4 quarts in.
An oil change and a new PCV valve it ran for years without burning anymore oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back