Change oil and / or filter in brand new vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always change the oil and filter on a new or rebuilt engine around 1000 miles. It may not be necessary, but I've seen the trash in oil from from enough fresh engines that leads me to believe that it is a good idea.

Get a magnetic drain plug. GoldPlug.com or drainplugmagnets.com are strong magnets. Others are often too weak.
Then see how much iron fuzz they capture.
I wouldn't touch the oil filter, but change the oil (leave filter on) at 1,000 miles to get the initial machining asperities cleaned out.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
3-4K miles for my new cars.

Me too! .... even with my new Santa Fe 2.4 GDI.
I've purchased a dozen new vehicles since 1970 and never had any kind of engine oil problem. The last eight new vehicles - we were first and last owner of them.

Last edited:
Ed - that's a base down canister. I would run maybe 7-10 hours then change the filter. Then change the oil and filter again at around 2K.

I don't know if you ll be able to see or get to junk/chips/flash accumulated down in the base.

Have you changed filters this decade on a canister system on any car/truck?

You get 4 free oil changes in the first 2 years. You could do one now, and a couple in between the dealer ones.
I changed the oil and filter at 650 kms on my 2018 6.6L duramax. The dealer did the next one at 10,000. (6,200 miles).

Change the oil and filter early.

Stick with the OEM oil filters for the first couple of years to avoid issues when the dealer changes your oil.

Originally Posted by rriddle3
500-1,000 mile initial oil changes went away along with 3,000 mile routine oil changes and Fram oil filters.

Really!
lol.gif

Bad idea. It is a waste of good oil. If I remember correctly GM recommends to follow OLM or 1 year. Never seen a new car break down from changing oil the first time according to the manual nor has anyone proved engines last longer by changing factory fill early.

How come my Ford called for first oil and filter change at 20.000kms and my two motorcycles at 1000kms?
The normal ocis are 20.000 and 12000kms respectively. Who is right and who is wrong and why?

I change the oil/filter at ~ 1/2 the severe service recommendation. The second change will be at the interval at the interval I will use as my std. I prefer to not get into the paranoid mind-set that seems to prevail. Ed

Last edited:
It might not be necessary, but at the same time it won't hurt and oil changes aren't all that expensive. You only have one shot to do an early oil change, so you might as well take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back