Change it or wait

I am on the fence and would appreciate opinions. With the weather being so nice, should I change oil/ filter now or do it next year after 5K miles have accrued on my 2003 Grand Marquis w/4.6 (was my late mother's car) w/ 39k miles. I usually with 5K intervals but didn't do quite as much driving this year.I park it in in the garage for winters because being RWD it doesn't handle well in snow as compared to my truck. I last changed it August 2019 and 3700 miles have accrued since then. There is Penzoil YB 5W-20 presently in the sump.

I'd say wait until 5000 miles. When you get to 200,000 total you can sell it to a taxi company and they can add another 200,000. Then it can get sold as a beater for some poor family with a bunch of kids. I've never been a Ford guy but this platform with the 4.6 is a monument.

Just me... I'd change it.... It's nice out like you said.. I have changed early in the winter when we have had a warm spell with temps in the 60s-70s... I did change the oil in my car one time with temps in the low teens with a wind chill below zero... That sucked donkey pistachios.

Sounds like a legacy car in a way... I am very grateful for the lady getting Ms. Betty's 98 Camry. That was her grandmother's car. It's cool to drive the car and think of her.

If you're not gonna drive it much and it's just sitting there over the winter, just wait for 5k miles, then change it. Or change it now. Either way, if it's good oil it can wait.

Possibly store the battery indoors and add some kind of tender / trickle?
Block her up and give the tires and springs a vakay too. Country setting? Got mice? Get mothballs?
5,000 miles?...all depends on the filter.

Last edited:
What makes you sleep better at night? For me I’d take advantage of the weather... Especially if you have a Napa your way.. filter and full synthetic $23. You’ll be set till fall 2021

How timely. I changed the oil in my Mitsu suv today early ~4500 miles because the Wx was so nice and to wait until spring would be too long. Nothing more miserable than crawling under a car when it is sub 40 degrees and wet.

At rate you drive, what is the worst that could happen if you never changed it again?

Back