Change it or not? 2021 Accord 1.5T

4500 miles on the oil and filter, with another planned 3000 miles. New engine, presumably under warranty.

Change oil and filter. $30 investment. Smart money. If you want to save a few bucks, if it's a quality filter you can probably wait on the filter.

Edited; I didn't read far enough to see OP changed it out. Smart move. Looks like it paid off.

I think you did well to change it before starting out. I thought tojo 1968 had a good idea in post # 30 about changing it in Florida. During the 60s and early 70s I'd make trips from Florida to Alaska and back. I carried supplies to do some changes in route in far away places and could properly dispose of the used oil. Boy, those were the days. I was young then.

You already went to 7500 miles the first time, what makes this time different?
Honda is pretty adamant about leaving the factory fill in for the full interval. 7500 seemed a good compromise between that and my oil fixation.

I'm in the "change it" camp, but I've always changed the oil in our turbo vehicles every 5K / 6 months. I'm of the mindset that oil is cheap and engines are not. Will it blow if you go 7500 miles or a bit more? No. If you plan on keeping long term changing early with proper spec is wise.

Keep in mind your engine holds less than a gallon of oil. My friend has a 2020 with 3.8 qt capacity,
1.5 Turbo. That is not a lot of oil.
Is that in the Accord? I think I remember reading the Civic had a less than 4 quart capacity but I figured the larger Accord and CRV would have a larger sump. That is quite small regardless of vehicle for a turbo'd engine. Our 1.4 TSI VW has a 4.4 quart capacity and I wish it was larger. 3.8 is tiny.

Back