Change Interval vs Age of Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently, I own a 95 Civic EX(194,000 miles). Based on the manual recommendation I fall within the Normal conditions by far meaning change oil every 7500 miles. I typically have used 3750(Honda dealer) - 5000 miles (easy # for myself) using dino oil. The engine is in good condition and this has been stated by mechanics doing maintenance.

My question arises is that can I just go to a synthetic oil like M1 (cheap/easy availibity at Walmart) and go to the 6 month/7500 mile oil change interval without too much worry. Or is my engine considered old (although good condition) and needs more frequent oil changes. I guess a UOA will tell me but it seems the cost of that covers part of another oil change so why bother.

Thanks for any insight,

Personally, with the mileage you have and what appears to be a well operating engine I would not change anything. Although many people will say a switch at this point is fine I will almost guarantee some oil seepage from some seal or gasket within one year of changing to a synthetic. I have been using synthetics for over ten years and in my experience you will get this on an engine over 50,000 miles. If you are willing to accept that then go for the longer intervals with a synthetic. Some seepages stop over time soem are so minor it makes no difference but I firmly believe you will get seepages after conversion. Why change waht is working so well?

I'm going with Spector on this one, I wouldn't go changing things at almost 200K in the engine's life. Keep using the very same brand of oil and keep the intervals at or under 5K.

I would do a high mileage AutoRx treatment - and then decide
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
Personally, with the mileage you have and what appears to be a well operating engine I would not change anything. Although many people will say a switch at this point is fine I will almost guarantee some oil seepage from some seal or gasket within one year of changing to a synthetic. I have been using synthetics for over ten years and in my experience you will get this on an engine over 50,000 miles. If you are willing to accept that then go for the longer intervals with a synthetic. Some seepages stop over time soem are so minor it makes no difference but I firmly believe you will get seepages after conversion. Why change waht is working so well?

That sounds easy. Dino oil it is every 5k. Brand has varied dependant on garage but is either Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol or Amalie. btw I noticed my seals are seeping from a synthetic transmission oil change performed by a local foreign garage. It could just be the age though. Thanks all.

Stay with what you are using, you have gotten good results. If its not broke, dont fix it!
cheers.gif

[ July 16, 2003, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Texcowboy ]

here is what I'm doing. I have a 92 mits mirage 113k miles. I change on the 3k rule, I know people will think I'm a retard for doing that, but the engine is fairly old. it took me almost 8 months one time to get to 3k miles. last time, it took 6 months.
shocked.gif
I must be a computer geek.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back