change in oil consumption due to change in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
A technical bulletin on QuakerState site said:

"Another phenomenon sometimes observed is a marked increase in oil consumption after changing brands of motor oil. This phenomenon has been occurring for years and can occur when changing from one brand to another within a given company as well as from one company to another.

Generally, when such a change is made, increased oil consumption is observed for a short period of time (one or two oil change intervals) and then returns to the previous low level. Interestingly enough, if one then returns to the original brand, higher oil consumption is again observed.

It has been theorized that this phenomenon is due to a change in detergent/dispersant chemistry which tends to remove previously deposited material which is helping to seal. After this deposit is removed, the new chemistry will produce a deposit which, upon reaching equilibrium, regains full sealing benefits and controls oil consumption to the original lower level."

What do you think & what are these "deposits" ?

IIRC, according to MolaKule, that is in fact true. It has to do with the specific additive chemistries, which is why a good percentage here don't recommend mixing of brands of oil, but on the same hand, a lot do and still have very good results, smooth and clean running engines, and haven't thrown a rod out of the oil pan yet.

I usually switch brands all of the time, and haven't had any consumption issues, as I usually wouldn't use the same brand from one OCI to the next. I do consider myself lucky on that score, as some have had consumption issues using one brand over another, then once they returned to the previous brand, the consumption issue went away.

You'll never home brew an oil that is superior to the original formulation that is in that bottle, but some of use here have sure made some interesting blends that would drive engineers to drink more than they already do.
wink.gif

You can apply this exact statement to Amsoil. In fact, for some reason, those words look VERY familiar. Seems like maybe I or someone at Amsoil wrote those.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back