Change gear ratio in the Honda S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about changing gear ratio of my Honda S2000. Currently the gear is too short, so that at speed of 80 MPH the tach shows 4500-4600 RPM, I would like to change the final gear to a little taller to reduce RPM down to around 3500-3600 RPM at 80 MPH, so that it will be a little quieter at highway speed and to improve gas mileage.

Is there a set of gear from other manual transmission cars that can be used in the S2000 ? I will by the gear(s) and have it installed at the trusted mechanic. This type of work is beyond my capability.

Why not just shift out of 3rd?

48.gif

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd wait to see what the impact on transmission gear to RPM is after you change your tires. Going to a larger diameter tire will have a similar effect as going to a taller gear.

Aftermarket 3.90 gears in your differential along with an AP2 transmission swap paired with the taller tires you mention in your other thread should get you fairly close. Guess it depends on how much you are willing to spend.

If it were my car, I would have the transmission rebuilt with a taller 6th gear -- or I wouldn't do anything at all.

That's an awfully peaky little motor, I've driven them and they required a lot of revs just to keep up with traffic.

It's not hurting anything. Made to rev.

Drove one when I sold cars. That engine needs to rev. Enjoy it as it is. You almost definitely will not recover costs of a new transmission with fuel savings. Especially if someone else does it.

ref

Put a GearVendors overdrive on it. That will reduce your engine speed 28% in top gear and give you a 12-speed transmission.

Last edited:
^^^Wow, if you want the "no budget" scenario, that's the ticket.

Let's see, custom fab crossmember, driveshaft cut and rebalance, I could go on...

As someone who's actually used that piece i would be concerned if there's even enough room for it under an S2000!

When i had an '05 AP2 S2000, i also considered getting a taller 6th gear. I remember someone on the S2ki forum had a Turbo S2k with a taller 6th gear and reported 40mpg highway!! I can't for the life of me find that thread now but it's definitely interesting.

Unfortunately, i sold my S2k in favor of my 07 Civic Si in '07 because i needed the back seats.

I'm actually looking into getting another AP2 and am still interested in getting a bigger 6th gear for it.

IIRC, it was a 5th gear outta a Kia SUV that was used.
I gotta find where i saw this @...
coffee2.gif

If you're planning to keep the car forever, i think it's an interesting mod as it will save you fuel and result in a quieter ride, esp if you have an aftermarket exhaust.

It should also add some resale value, if the work was done properly and everything functions like it should. A 40mpg S2k is better then the 25mpg highway factory rating.

I've never heard of any other 6th gear or final drive fitting. The S2000's F20/F22 was only used in that car. I had one for a year and agree that 6th gear is pretty lousy but I didn't exactly but it for the fuel economy or smooth ride...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
If it were my car, I would have the transmission rebuilt with a taller 6th gear -- or I wouldn't do anything at all.
is there a company that makes a different 6th gear?

I have no problems with current transmission, tire sizes ... since I mostly drive the S2000 in town with little highway once in a while, the longest drive was about 80-90 miles to San Diego once in a while.

Since I may drive it to/from Phoenix weekly for several months, I think if I can reduce the RPM down from 4500 to 3500 will reduce engine/road noise and also improve gas mileage for long trip. But it will negatively effect the acceleration.

I need to do some searches in S2KI.com to see if anyone done it and how they think. I am not 100% of changing gear ratio yet, just thinking about it and get opinions and decide later.

Thanks a lot for your opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back