Change filter before or after return hose flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just doing some thinking. If the fluid is made to flow through the filter(if applicable), and someone is doing a hose disconnect flush, wouldn't it be better to change the filter after the flush, since whatever was behind the filter just got put into the new filter?

Filters are pretty crappy and really just mesh. I wouldn't do that flush period..Much safer just to do a couple of drain and fills.

It probably doesn't matter much, because the "filter" barely does anything anyways.

It doesn't make a difference if the filter is new or old during the "hose disconnect flush".

But, if you pull the pan to remove the filter after the flush, you'll be wasting the new fluid in the pan. If you pull the pan before the flush, you'll dump the old ATF which is a better way to start a 'hose disconnect flush'.

If the new/old filters are the same, then NOTHING should be left behind unless the old filter failed(which is unlikely).

Filter types are application specific. Not all are screens. Some trannies have screw on filters. Others use a "pita pocket" type filter cause it looks just like one and the pocket is where all the crud collects. And, some have a flat felt oil filter type media.

If you have no idea what kind of filter your transmission uses, you can always go to the parts store and look at one. By doing that I determined that the filter used in the 4EAT is nothing more than a screen and therefore I decided not to replace it.

The question is asked in regard to a 4t65 filter, which is good sized, but I cannot really tell what all the filter is, all I can see is metal screen, but the filter is too big for me to think that is all that it is.

If it's anything like the 4T40 filter (which is also quite large), it has a dense mesh of what looks like fiberglass as the filter media. I definitely can't see through it, and it does look like it could get clogged over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back