Champion RP Oil Filter Bypass Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several RP 20-820 filters that I bought 35% off from AAP. In looking down the center of these I noticed that the bypass valves for several of them are off center. Just wondering if this is an issue.

Photo below shows one with the valve centered within the spring:
2rp68th.jpg

Next photo shows one with the valve off-center within the spring:
2v8sins.jpg

BTW these RP filters seem to be a good bit heavier than the comparable Fram Ultra and Wix filters in my stash. I am installing one on my '13 Challenger Hemi later today.

I have some parts plus filters made by champ and I've noticed the same thing but I've never had a problem with them first time you start your car the pressure on it should be enough that it will slide into place there isn't anything wrong with it just probably off center from being pressed into the end of the filter

This is out of my filter
mine has rubber where yours is metal where it seals. I've had both anyways the metal ones can be a lil smaller and float around they will still seal just fine since the hole behind the seal is smaller it will just have a little sideways tolerance
20150429_152655_zpsqipeippe.jpg

Originally Posted By: Bookmaker
I have several RP 20-820 filters that I bought 35% off from AAP. In looking down the center of these I noticed that the bypass valves for several of them are off center. Just wondering if this is an issue.

Photo below shows one with the valve centered within the spring:
2rp68th.jpg

Next photo shows one with the valve off-center within the spring:
2v8sins.jpg

BTW these RP filters seem to be a good bit heavier than the comparable Fram Ultra and Wix filters in my stash. I am installing one on my '13 Challenger Hemi later today.

I've been running them pretty much exclusively on my 392 since the first oil change. Never had an issue- the disk is "floating" in its cage. It can't go anywhere, but it can close off-center, as others have mentioned. I've cut many RP filters open now, and never found anything except near-perfect structure One had a little bit of adhesive overflowed from the end cap onto the media, but it didn't cause a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back