Champion Laboratories bankruptcy plan is approved

Status
Not open for further replies.
On December 30, 2016 UCI announced it has completed its reorganization plan regarding Champion Laboratories. Earlier in December the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Delaware approved the Chapter 11 bankruptcy plan. The company will continue operations while shedding some $380 million in debt. From what I read, Blackstone Financial, J.P. Morgan and Credit Suisse will be running the new company.

While at least 23 supervisors/salaried workers were fired or laid off within the past five weeks, the company is doing new hiring, likely at much lower wage rates. BTW Fram Filtration is not affected by the Chapter 11 plan approval. It remains to be seen if we'll see any changes in the quality of the future filters produced by Champion.

I'll continue to use some Champion made filters (Castrol SFX), but the Fram Pro Synthetic line is my current favorite.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
For the uninformed (me) what does UCI make and for whom?

United Components Inc. is the parent company of Champion Laboratories, which makes filters under many different brand names.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
For the uninformed (me) what does UCI make and for whom?

United Components Inc. is the parent company of Champion Laboratories, which makes filters under many different brand names.

Can you elaborate as to specifically which oil filter brands/models they make?? I'm thinking I'd want to avoid these.

There is no reason to avoid filters made by Champ Labs solely due to Chapter 11. Chapter 11 bankruptcy is fairly common : it means that the company has too much debt and is renegotiating that debt, along with business plans to keep the company functional. If you are really concerned about this situation, you should also be concerned about Fram which is owned by the same parent company. Obviously, it sucks for anybody to loose their jobs, and also for the people holding the debt as they usually get less than 100% of what is owed.

My point is to judge them on the quality of the product.

To see what filters are made by them, just check their website: http://www.champlabs.com/ and look on the right side for their brands.

Quote:
To see what filters are made by them, just check their website: http://www.champlabs.com/ and look on the right side for their brands.

Mopar filters are not exclusively made by Champ Labs. They're made by Purolator as well... Same with some other brands shown on your link.

I miss the old champ filters --- the rugged base plate, solid construction, just a great filter overall. I still have a few Rockauto closeouts that use the old construction. There are still a few good ones out there (Mobil1 for example), but I avoid the E-cores whenever possible. Taken a few apart and they just scream cheap...

Quote:
K & N as well.

Not for awhile. In 2012 Korean company Daewha began making them in S Korea. More recently seem to be manufactured in Mexico so not sure if still Deawha. Deawha is same company currently making the AZ STP XL, which though a bit pricey 'imo', have a very good efficiency rating.

As for the topic completion of the UCI Champ Labs reorganization, the announcement says "We have completely separated from our prior sister company FRAM and are very excited about our future.” from Business wire LINK. Based on that statement it seems unclear 'to me' the Champ Labs oil filter operation is still any longer under/part of Rank Grp.

'As far as I can tell' Rank completely removed themselves from UCI/Champ Labs once UCI filed for bankruptcy. And that was recently discussed in the linked thread https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...Cha#Post4263349. As can be seen I happen to agree with the OP of that thread and haven't changed my mind, regardless of the obfuscating (imo) legalities presented later. That said, note the ' ' used for my current understanding.

As for current and future Champ Labs filters, imo best to follow the inspect before purchase rule one should with any filter. No reason for me to draw any conclusion about any change in quality at this point. I'd still use them with a prior inspection.

Quote:
Who makes the AC Delco?....

Even though not listed on UCI site, ACDelco filters still indicate Champ Labs construction to/at this point.

Used K&N for a good decade. Then three arrived hecho en Mexico.
They were plastic wrapped in the box.
Maybe I should of left the plastic on - all 3 rusted on my truck - and it never left the south

Originally Posted By: Sayjac

Quote:
Who makes the AC Delco?....

Even though not listed on UCI site, ACDelco filters still indicate Champ Labs construction to/at this point.

Aren't ACDelco filters all e-core?

No, not all ecores. Classic construction ACD still available, though perhaps a bit more difficult to find. Not even all Champ made STPs are ecores (6607 example). If you see an E suffix following the ACD # it's an ecore. But the new for GM ecores with filter integral bypass use a poppet type bypass, not a combo valve that may be found on non GM application ecores.

Then there's the ACDelco UPF48R Specialty Ultraguard Engine Oil Filter which GM has recommended in place of the PF48E ecore in some circumstances. It too has classic construction and some here claim it's the same as the M1. Though the classic ACDs I've seen including the UPF use holes not louvers found on M1.

OK, I don't buy ACDelco filters so was not sure, but seems I had read a lot about them being e-core, was just not sure if all of them were.

I have not bought any Champ made filters in quite a while, last one I saw was off my brother in laws truck (PurePro filter from a oil change place) that seemed to do a good job. I have no problem with them, just been buying other brands.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
OK, I don't buy ACDelco filters so was not sure, but seems I had read a lot about them being e-core, was just not sure if all of them were.

I have not bought any Champ made filters in quite a while, last one I saw was off my brother in laws truck (PurePro filter from a oil change place) that seemed to do a good job. I have no problem with them, just been buying other brands.

I thought the same thing but I read here that there was a lot to do about AC switching to E-Core so they came out with their "classic" line. Some numbers you can add "CL" to them to get nonecore.

example
PF454 = Ecore
PF454CL = non-ecore.

pics of a new classic cut open
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2128634

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back